Q. I developed a red bump on my penile shaft after intercourse. Could this be herpes?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I am 26 years old. I woke up a few days ago with a red bump on my shaft. I recently had protected sex with a new person, which is why I am worrying. There is no white head or hair. It looks deep, but I am not sure if that is the regular depth for a blister or pimple. I put some pressure on the bump, and a little bit of pus came out, and the bump now looks skin-colored.

After a few days of making sure it is always clean, the bump is very small, almost non-existent. However, the skin is shiny and looks like a blister.

It was not itchy and never burst open. Nor does it hurt unless I put pressure on it. However, if I stretched my penis, I could feel the discomfort.

My symptoms are non itchy, the pain only with pressure, no clear fluid, ulceration, tingling, or constant pain. My temperature went up to 98.7. No aches or unwell feeling. I am trying to determine whether this is just a pimple or it could be herpes?

#

I understand your concern. It does not look like herpes, that much I am sure. The photos you attached are not very clear and cannot be zoomed without blurring (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will need a close up well-focused picture in a well-lit area to determine the exact diagnosis. Please send multiple clear images if you can.

Here are more pictures. If not herpes, please let me know what you may think it is.

#

Thanks for sharing these pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The second photograph looks like that of a blister, although it does not look like herpes still. Herpes has grouped vesicles with surrounding redness and ruptures to form ulcers with burning. But any form of a blister on the genitals need to be investigated for herpes.

It is probably a friction blister because of the sexual activity but still get herpes serology if available.

|