Q. I noticed a spot on penis around two weeks post unprotected sex. What could it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2020

I am 29 years old. A spot appeared on the penis after two weeks of unprotected sex. It was not extensive, with no painful urination, irritation, and no discharge. But I have slight abdominal pain with some discomfort.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I guess you are speaking about that reddish spot over the base of the glans penis, not the tiny spot within that reddish zone. That tiny spot is not a significant finding.

Regarding that reddish zone, you did not mention symptoms regarding that spot, so I assume there is no significant pain, itching, or tenderness over the spot. If not then it is probably not significant.

There are two possibilities, one is trauma during the sleep leading to erythematous zone and the second is an early fungal infection. So as of now, it is too early to conclude definitely based on morphology alone.

Now in my opinion, it is better to wait and watch for its resolution or development of specific lesions, or alternatively may get it swabbed for an etiology. If you develop any itching or scaling over it then you should apply an antifungal ointment like Terbinafine or Clotrimazole. As of now, you may apply some soothing lotion like Vaseline or other if you have at home.

Watch for other symptoms like development of pain or fluid-filled vesicles over the lesion (for herpes).

No pain or fluid filled vesicles. But it did evolve into this. Again there's no pain, no discharge, no discolored urine, there is some slight dull pain after urinating. The red zones on the inside of the foreskin is slightly itchy if I touch it.
# Hello,
It's just somewhat dry and erythematous with some scales, which could be due to multiple factors like overuse of detergents, soaps, perfumes, condoms, and other chemicals, poor hygiene, can result in inflammation to the skin.
Its nonspecific and does not suggest any specific infection, but may later evolve into fungal infection.
So as of now, I think you should keep good hygiene, rinse glans with saline 2-3 times a day. Avoid chemicals. And if this doesn't go then should go for an empirical 1 % clotrimazole ointment twice daily for 7-14 days depending upon the response.

|