Q. I would like to avoid conflicts with my fiance. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Oct 14, 2019

I am a 28-year-old woman staying with my fiance in a live-in relationship. He is practical, and every parent would love to have him as a son. He is the one I can go to for the suggestion because I feel he will give me a better solution and he is perfect.

He has a lot of friends where ever he goes, and I have a few. I feel lonely when he is not around me. So, we are getting married soon, and he is having his bachelor party, whereas I will not be having it as I hardly have any good friends. I am depressed as I know that in those days, I will be lonely again and that fear is creating a problem in our relationship. Thus we fight too. I do not know what to do. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is common to see one partner being outgoing and having lots of friends while the other has a limited social circle. The best way to minimize conflicts in a relationship is to be open and talk regularly to prevent the development of any deep-seated resentments. Have a honest discussion with your fiance about how you feel. Talk when both of you are calm, avoid discussing these during heated arguments as it will not be helpful.

It is important to give some space, even in close relationships. Both of you will find it beneficial to spend time with family and friends regularly. Try to gradually develop your friendship circle so that you do not feel lonely. It may take some time and effort, but can be managed eventually. Utilize opportunities to attend social events, birthday parties, weddings, etc., to expand your social network.

Develop some interesting hobbies to keep you occupied. Even reading books will be helpful. If you prefer the company of animals, try getting a pet dog or cat. If problems persist in your relationship, you can seek counseling.

What can be done for daydreaming, loneliness, and lack of concentration?

Query: Hello doctor,I have never consulted a psychiatrist before, but according to what I have observed about myself, maybe I am suffering from maladaptive daydreaming, loneliness, lack of concentration as well as maybe depression. This is the peak time for me to make my career. I only have two years left ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your problem but need more information to conclude. The symptoms of poor focus, lack of concentration, etc., can occur in depression but these are not sufficient to make a diagnosis of depression. Low mood, reduced energy, lack of interest in day to day...  Read Full

How to cope with breakup after long term relationship?

Query: Hi doctor, One year ago, I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. It was a relationship of five years. Even today, I am not able to forget her. I keep thinking about her. I am not able to concentrate on anything. I feel lonely. What do I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relationship issues need to be settled down before it starts disturbing you. You have to fully understand what it will lead to and how it will affect your life in the long run. When you get into any relationship for more than a year, you start associating and sharing y...  Read Full

I am depressed due to failure in my exams and I feel lonely always. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have failed twice in my exams. I am feeling pushed out of my own home because there is a lack of peace. I weep secretly and daily whenever I think of my future, and it all looks bleak. I am a lonely person, and my enemies are many around me, including my own younger brother. Every ti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Competitive exams are tough, and the situation in which you are is not helping you cope up. To excel in such exams, you need to concentrate and not be distracted. Maybe you can shift to a hostel for preparing if you cannot start with maintaining some distance. Try it...  Read Full