Q. My face was swollen on the side of the cheekbones with numbness and burning. Please advice.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

This morning I noticed that my face was swollen on both sides of the cheekbones. Mildly a Zirtek and a 16 mg Medrol in the afternoon. It has not entirely receded. I feel numbness and burning sensation. The color of the skin has not changed. Yesterday I took Algofren 400.

#

• Is this the first time you have used Algofren (Ibuprofen)?
  • Do you have any allergic reactions to other types of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Aspirin?
  • Do you have any fever or changes in vision?
  • Do you have any pain in the mouth, or oral ulcers, or gum issues?
  • Do you have any sinus pain or stuffed up face pain, or headache?
  • Did you have any seafood last night?

Thanks for your reply.

No, I have none of them. I did not eat any seafood last night. Also, I did not have an allergy to Algofren. Yesterday I ate some nuts at night. But I did not have any allergy to them. What can I do?

#

I would suggest taking Diphenhydramine (I do not know which country you are located to give you the compound) and take Medrol (Methylprednisolone) 8 mg half a tablet for three more days. You would have to get patch testing to figure out what you are allergic to. Also, keep an eye for a rash; if you develop a rash, please contact a doctor with a picture. We have to keep an eye for shingles as well. The steroids should help with both allergy, and in case it is leading towards shingles. Let me know if any further questions.

Take care.

|