Q. Why do I have radiating shoulder pain after a week of laparoscopic gallbladder surgery?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I have done laparoscopic surgery with ERCP before a week. It is done for the stone stuck in the duct. After a week, I got some stomach pain, bloating, and diarrhea. Now it is gone. Today, I waked up with excruciating pain in the shoulder. The pain got radiated from the shoulder to the bottom of the right blade. I also have motion sickness. My family doctor advised me to take Antivert, muscle relaxants, and painkillers. Tylenol did not help me. But Percocet worked a little. But still, I have pain in my shoulder and neck. It is extremely hard for me to turn right due to the pain present in my neck. I also have issues in maintaining balance. I also have dizziness. Are these conditions occur normally after undergoing gallbladder surgery? What is the cause?

#

You have done laparoscopic gall bladder surgery with ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) with or without stenting. It clears all the stones in the duct. It has a low complication rate. But complication arises within 24 to 48 hours of the procedure. The complications are abdominal pain, vomiting, jaundice, fever, and malaise. You have done before a week and after that, you are having pain in the shoulder and neck. It does not have any relation with your surgery or stenting as the onset of pain is late and you do not have any other symptoms like fever and jaundice. Pain in the shoulder and neck occurs due to muscle spasms. You are taking medicine for it. ERCP-induced pancreatitis is a complication that may arise at any time after ERCP and stenting. It presents with pain in the abdomen while sitting. It also occurs when stenting is done during ERCP.

|