Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is it possible to get genital wart without sexual exposure?

Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 21 year old girl. I saw a cauliflower shape growth in my vulva which was diagnosed as warts. I was given Acivir tablet 800 mg despite the fact that I had no sexual contact with anyone. Then, I got my menstruation for seven days. I used to apply vaginal wash and tea tree oil and had Acivir for five days. Now, I have dandruff like on my pubic hair, left part of vulva, on my thigh crease and buttock line. This dryness also appeared on my scalp with lot of dryness, but it subsided few months back. I also have hypothyroidism. The wart almost subsided. Once when I used tea tree oil in vulva at night I got a burning sensation, so I guess it maybe allergy. I have no yellowish discharge and I clean my vagina three to four times a day. I have hair loss too for a longer period along with complain of dandruff. When I use milk cream like Vaseline, dryness goes for half a day or so but then later it appears again. I got a checkup two months back for reticulocyte count and thyroid T3, T4 and TSH too after medication and my thyroid is almost normal now. Please help for my condition.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

Surprising fact is that you have a genital wart, but without any history of sexual exposure. Then it is not a wart. And it has subsided as I could not find it in the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

But, what a miserable condition you have done with your private organ. The whole area is inflamed, red as well as dry. And the cause is the use of so many substances to this highly sensitive skin.

Do you consider your genitalia a very dirty place or expect from it to emit the odor of flowers all the time? Trust me those substances and your practice of repeated washing is the cause of this.

Just stop those substances and also stop frequent washing which could damage the normal vaginal defense.

Apply only Calamine or Caladryl lotion (Diphenhydramine) twice a day over the skin. Let it heal by its own. Continue all your other oral medications including thyroid.

The Probable causes:

Contact dermatitis.

Investigations to be done:

Blood sugar fasting and postprandial.

Differential diagnosis:

Fungal infection.

Probable diagnosis:

Vulvovaginitis due to contact dermatitis.

Treatment plan:

Emollients like Caladryl ointment.

Preventive measures:

Stop all skin application.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after a week to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Hi doctor,

I still have that wart left. I was also surprised about the wart, but I went to two gynecologists. One said it maybe probably due to hair removal second one was not sure. I am uploading the picture of remaining wart.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to

Yes, it is present and looks really like wart (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, I presume it is not a wart.

As per the hazy picture, it could be a skin tag or an irritation polyp. It could be caused by constant rubbing of labia against each other while walking or due to the use of cosmetics or tight clothes and may give rise to polyp shaped growths there.

These resemble tags in their appearance. I suggest you to contact a dermatologist for a further opinion.

Probable diagnosis:

Irritation polyp.

Treatment plan:

Removal of polyp.

Regarding follow up:

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can skin tags be removed?
Do genital warts appear above the pubic area?
I have warts on my penis. Is it an STD?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What causes lighter periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I started to have birth control pill at the age of 15 for heavy periods. I switched to Depo-Provera after about four years on the same pill. I was on Depo-Provera for one year and I stopped it a year before due to irritating light spotting and mood changes. After I bega...  Read Full »

Why is there a skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to m...  Read Full »

I have asthma and nasal polyp, and some foul smell is coming from my nose and throat. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have allergic asthma and nasal polyp since the past year. I have seasonal asthma since my childhood, and during an endoscopy, they found a 7 mm polyp at the GE junction, which is benign. I am feeling fatigue, and some foul smell is coming from my throat and nose. My recent bloo...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.