Q. I have sleep apnea with high BP. Kindly suggest a solution.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I am a 51-year-old male. I am a former athlete and continue to lift five to six days a week. Last year, I was diagnosed with high BP (175/115). This was due to TRT, which I immediately stopped (it has been a year since I have used any TRT). I was on Amlodipine 5 mg, yet that did not help. For the last two months, I have been on Clonidine 0.2 mg two times a day, and the previous two weeks, it has been Edarbi 80mg once a day.

My BP was just taken at 163/98. I am having my blood drawn in two days, yet my doctor is now suspecting sleep apnea as it may be all or part because I do have thick blood. Earlier tonite before I attempted to sleep, it was 144/92. Due to my stubborn nature with my BP, he thinks that it is sleep apnea related.

I sleep on a very firm mattress and have used memory foam toppers, yet those do not seem to work. I would think I need a softer mattress as I am a side sleeper.

My lifestyle is very clean. I do not drink, smoke, or do any type of drugs. I do need to lose 20 lbs to be leaner as opposed to stocky now. I have no other health issues other than cholesterol being high (231), hemoglobin 17.05, RBC 6.00, and hematocrit 49.6.

I have cleaned up any dietary issues, and I am following his guidelines. He now thinks that I may have an enlarged heart due to the apnea.

When I do sleep, I snore very loudly in the past though I think that has gone away. I do not toss and turn much, and usually, when I lie down, I am out within 15 minutes. The last few nights, I have not been able to do that and have only stayed asleep for perhaps five to six hours before not falling back asleep. I have nasal issues, and I rarely get headaches. My doctor thought I had PCV, and those symptoms have gone away. I have also looked for signs of an enlarged heart and do not have those. When he listened to my breathing last time, he said my breathing had greatly improved. My heart rate is usually around 62-63 resting, and that is with doing very little cardio.

I have looked into home sleep studies as I do not have health insurance and cannot afford a traditional sleep study. Would my doctor prescribe me a medicine after I do the at-home sleep study? Also, what kind of mattress is best, especially for someone that is also muscular? Any advice would be much appreciated.

#

Yes, looking at your weight, it is a possibility that you have sleep apnea issues. I suppose with home sleep study, the doctor should be able to start a medicine.

Mattresses usually do not matter, but yes, you should avoid using a pillow because that inclination angle may create a breathing passage problem and can create sleep apnea. You must also get your thyroid hormone levels done. Take a nap in the afternoon.

I have read that adjustable beds can be of great benefit as well. Would that be a good idea?

#

Yes, the proper angulation and smooth air passage are necessary, so yes, it should help. Weight reduction will help a lot.

|