Q. What to do for sleep disorder?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

I am a 46 year old male. My weight is 74 kg and I am having an excellent physical shape. I think I have some sleep issue. I did not get proper sleep for any days and hence, I feel tired and irritable at times. I am very active professionally and leading very engaging life. I am not suffering from any depression or mental issues. I get a little bit of anxiety at times, but nothing serious that I can feel. What could be the reason for this? What are the remedies? Please suggest me.

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

• There are many causes for inability to sleep properly. Many times, it is only psychological.
  • In my opinion, you should try general measures first before taking any medicine.
  • I suggest you can try relaxation exercises, yoga and meditation first. Also, go for brisk walking for at least half an hour daily as it increases serotonin level in the blood, which helps in a sound sleep.
  • I suggest you to eat healthy food, more fruits and green vegetables. Avoid spicy and oily food.
  • Try to avoid stressful conditions and do not take any kind of stress or tension.
  • I also suggest you to check your thyroid function test.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am already doing what you have suggested. I exercise for 45 minutes about five days a week. I am having a pretty good intake of nutritious food. Stress in life is unavoidable, but saying that I do not have a very stressful life. Generally, I am an easygoing person. I do not eat spicy food. Before two months, I have tested for thyroid function and it was normal. Please help me.

#

• It is good that you are already doing whatever is necessary.
  • Anti-anxiety drugs can be helpful for you if the general measures did not work. But, it is better to take them under medical supervision and for a short time only as long term intake causes addiction and other side effects.
  • You will not get any of the anti-anxiety drugs or sleeping pills without a doctor's prescription. So, it will be better for you to consult a physician in person. One more benefit will be that you will be screened for sleep disorder also.

|