Q. While correcting the gap of upper teeth, should I get braces on both arches?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2021

I have been wearing braces on my upper teeth for two years to fix the gap due to the extraction of an extra teeth between my incisors. Now I have noticed that my upper teeth are slightly protruding and I cannot close my mouth. Now, my orthodontist is asking me to get braces on lower teeth, but my lower teeth are perfectly straight. I consulted another orthodontist, and he said that lower braces are not needed, only front four teeth are required to be fixed. I am confused. What should I do?

#

• When treating with braces, it is usually a good practice to put them on both arches, upper and lower despite the apparent need for minor changes or few teeth in one arch.
  • This is because as the teeth are aligned and moved in one arch, their relative position changes with respect to the other arch.
  • This leads to a change in bite which might not be comfortable for the joint physiology. Thus, with braces on in both arches, it is possible to maintain and fix the bite relative to each other.
  • Hence, it is always recommended to put braces on both arches.

For further doubts consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|