Q. My x-ray report shows that I have lumbar spondylosis. Do I have to get an MRI?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have a pain in my back, and the local doctor says that L3 might have collapsed. I can walk and do day to day activities. My x-ray report says I have lumbar spondylosis. And osteophytes are seen with sclerosis in lumber vertebra and disc space reduced between L4 - L3. The doctor advised spine support, but I withdrew it. He also suggested getting an MRI. Could you please suggest if it is a good idea to get an MRI done?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

I do not have all the information here but will try and explain. From you description, you do not seem to have any leg symptoms, like sciatica like pain or lumbar canal stenosis. You also have not mentioned about any night symptoms, weight loss, appetite loss, fever, sweats, etc. You have not indicated the degree of pain, the response to painkillers, any physiotherapy, etc. Do you have any history of back injury? Your reports suggest that you have age-related changes, and need to try physiotherapy.

I suggest you try doing the following.

1. Take painkillers, after consulting your doctor.
  2. Apply hot moist towels on your back.
  3. Do core strengthening exercises.

If you have any symptoms as I described above, then only an MRI is needed.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|