Q. Can asthma inhalers cause sticky poop?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

For the last few days, I have noticed sticky poop. Every time I pass the stool, I feel discomfort and feel like my bowel is unclear. I am asthmatic, and I am taking two puffs twice a day. Please suggest if the inhaler is causing this problem or is it anything else.

#

Please let me know for how long you have had this problem? Do you have abdominal pain? How much time do you open your bowels in a day?

Please let me know the name of the inhaler you are using; only then can I be able to tell if it is the cause of sticky poop. Well, most of the inhalers used for asthma generally do not cause a change in bowel movement. But I will need further information to confirm the same.

The blood test reports you shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) are within normal limits except for some abnormalities in cholesterol levels. But it does not suggest any serious issues. Are you taking any medicines for cholesterol issues? Since certain anti-cholesterol medications can cause sticky poop. Please let me know the names of the medication you are taking.

Thanks for the response.

The inhaler I am using is Formoflo (Formoterol and Fluticasone) 250. I do not have any abdominal pain, and I open my bowels once or twice a day. I am not taking any medication for cholesterol.

#

I do not think the inhaler is causing you this problem. I suggest you take (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take the medicines with their consent) ispaghula husk two tablespoons with water once daily. I think your symptoms will resolve just with this. Try to continue it for some time, and then you can stop. See if symptoms do not recur; in that case, start with ispaghula husk again.

This can be due to some changes in the diet and does not require specific treatment. I hope things will be back to normal after some time.

|