Q. My son experiences sporadic stomach aches. Can you give your suggestion?

Dr. Sumeet Sharma

My 13-year-old son is suffering from major stomach aches for about a year now. We have tried several different OTC medications as told by his pediatrician. He recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done, which revealed that he is lactose intolerant. The pain is sporadic and not every day. Some days are great with no pain, and some days he has this issue. I am desperate to find help.

#

Long-standing pain in the abdomen without any added symptoms like weight loss, nausea, recurrent diarrhea, or excessive flatulence can be stress-induced. But before labeling the pain as stress-induced, all the organic causes need to be ruled out. A thorough physical examination will be needed. Adolescence is a very difficult time for a young kid, he is already experiencing so many changes in his body, and this also adds stress. I think you should talk to him and try spending some quality time with him. You can also try some therapy sessions.

He is presently in therapy, but it has not offered any direction in helping him. He has experienced nausea, occasional diarrhea, and flatulence (he had flatulence just this morning, so I gave him children Pepto and Tylenol for pain). Is there anything we can do to help his stomach calm and free him of this pain?

#

To calm his stomach, you can try the following:

1. Avoid spicy and junk food.

2. Avoid milk.

3. Try giving him curd or yogurt.

4. Try small frequent meals.

5. Avoid citrus fruits.

6. You can give him probiotics for diarrhea.

7. A little change in his routine environment will help in cutting down the stress. You can plan a small outing with him. The quality time that he spends with you will help him more than therapy sessions.

Stool examination to look for evidence of malabsorption and lactose intolerance.

Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg (Protonix) before breakfast for five days.

|