Q. What group of MRI series would get me a complete 3D representation of all the components and wiring of the implant system in my body?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I had a surgery in which a system was implanted in my body. I would like to know a list of specific series of MRI scans required to get a complete 3D representation of all the components and wiring of that system. This is needed for non-anatomical components, not for disease or tissue evaluation.

I have attached the images (jpeg format) of the system with wires. The attached images are from an MRI. A couple of components, including wiring, are shown. I want a complete picture of the connections and components.

What group of MRI series would achieve that goal?

#

I have read your query in detail and it appears that you need specific information on MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) sequences to see wires and components of an implant in 3D (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Sequences that are based on heavily weighted T2 (transverse relaxation time) might help in this area. These sequences are named 3D CISS (constructive interference in steady-state), 3D T2 DRIVE, and 3D FIESTA (fast imaging employing steady-state acquisition), based on the machine vendor. In your MRI scan, I find a 3D CISS series of images for the posterior fossa and cranial nerves.

Please have a discussion with your doctor and MRI staff on the area to be covered for the scan, and if any protective measures are to be taken during scanning.

Thank you so much for your response.

What about FLAIR sequences?

It seems the wire is shown on this sequence in the present scan.

#

Thanks for your valuable feedback and for continuing the discussion.

FLAIR (fluid-attenuated inversion recovery) is a good sequence for fluid areas, and not particularly for viewing implants. At times, FLAIR might be able to show the wires and thin structures, but there are certain advantages in the 3D T2 images sequence also. The image detail is much better in 3D compared to FLAIR images and will show the structures in precision.

|