Q. I feel low with suicidal thoughts and fear of death while driving. What can I do?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Nov 07, 2019

I am 21 years old. I am having suicidal thoughts and not able to get into a parking space. I am a new driver, and I am scared that I will die while driving. I also feel like I am low than other people. I am having this problem for a several years. I have OCD, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was taking Luvox, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro. I am currently taking Cymbalta 20 mg. What can I do? Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You appear to be less confident and excessively worried about driving. Many young drivers feel the same, but you appear to be more affected by anxiety related to driving and parking.

Always remember that you will get better with experience. Try to drive at a slow pace for the first one to two years and practice parking maneuvers untill your confidence is better. You can seek support from an experienced driver or take some pass-plus driving lessons.

You are reporting a history of anxiety, OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), and depression. I note you have been tried on different antidepressants. In addition to the medication, you can try psychological therapy and CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) which will be very effective to manage your excessive anxiety and build your confidence back.

Is there a better medication to use long-term for generalized anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I have GAD problem for more than two decades. Right now I am using Mirtazapine 15 mg and Rivotril 0.25 on SOS. Is there a better medication for long-term use? Previously I used Fludac 20 mg, Trazodone 25 mg and Buspar 5 mg (three times). After I shifted to Mirtaz. My problem is insuffic...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saurav Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to know how are you feeling now on the medication? I know you are not satisfied that is why you want to take a second opinion but since how long have you shifted on this combination and how much improvement are you experiencing are two most im...  Read Full

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pro...  Read Article