Q. Please give some advice for my mother's painless swollen feet.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2020

A couple of months ago, my mother had fever. She had medicines, which was prescribed by her doctor. After three days of fever, she developed rashes and was hospitalized. Then, her rashes started disappearing, but she has some burning sensation on the soles of her feet. Right now, she has swollen feet up to her shins, which is painless. She has no history of diabetes and BP. Here is the report for your reference. Please suggest some advice.

#

I can understand your concern about your mother's health.

• I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found that her ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are high.
  • As her ESR and CRP are high, it indicates an autoimmune disease in which the circulating antibodies in the blood form complexes with the antigens in the blood and get deposited in the skin and various organs.
  • These autoimmune diseases involve multiple body systems. Some of them are common in females such as SLE (systemic lupus erythmatosis), etc.
  • I suggest you check her ANA (antinuclear antibodies) and dsDNA (double stranded DNA) tests. If these come to be negative, then it can be a sequel of post viral infection only.

Further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

As I am not in the medical field. I am unable to find which is dsDNA test. My doctor might have thought it as unnecessary. Please explain me in detail. Here is my ANA test report for your reference.

#

• From her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), her ANA test is normal, there is no need to check for DS DNA.
  • Her swelling may be due to some other reason. There are many causes for swelling over feet like kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, hypothyroidism, low serum albumin, etc.
  • I suggest her ECG, serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, serum albumin and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) to be done.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/qa/specialities/internal-medicine-physician

|