Q. Please give some advice for my mother's painless swollen feet.

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pardhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2020

Hi doctor,

A couple of months ago, my mother had fever. She had medicines, which was prescribed by her doctor. After three days of fever, she developed rashes and was hospitalized. Then, her rashes started disappearing, but she has some burning sensation on the soles of her feet. Right now, she has swollen feet up to her shins, which is painless. She has no history of diabetes and BP. Here is the report for your reference. Please suggest some advice.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern about your mother's health.

  • I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found that her ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are high.
  • As her ESR and CRP are high, it indicates an autoimmune disease in which the circulating antibodies in the blood form complexes with the antigens in the blood and get deposited in the skin and various organs.
  • These autoimmune diseases involve multiple body systems. Some of them are common in females such as SLE (systemic lupus erythmatosis), etc.
  • I suggest you check her ANA (antinuclear antibodies) and dsDNA (double stranded DNA) tests. If these come to be negative, then it can be a sequel of post viral infection only.

Further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Thank you doctor,

As I am not in the medical field. I am unable to find which is dsDNA test. My doctor might have thought it as unnecessary. Please explain me in detail. Here is my ANA test report for your reference.



Welcome back to

  • From her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), her ANA test is normal, there is no need to check for DS DNA.
  • Her swelling may be due to some other reason. There are many causes for swelling over feet like kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, hypothyroidism, low serum albumin, etc.
  • I suggest her ECG, serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, serum albumin and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) to be done.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

.. a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytos...   Read full

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Co-morbid conditions such as diabetes mellitus accelerate the organ damage ...   Read full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Hello doctor, I am currently having acne on my cheeks and I am applying Benzoyl peroxide gel on my acne. It only reduces the inflammation but bumps are not reducing. I also have pigmentation caused by acne before. What may be the reason? I usually ge...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.