Q. How can painful swollen gums be treated in a baby?

Dr. Payas Joshi

My baby daughter is 2 years 5 months old. Weight is 12 kg. Her molar teeth is coming on both left and right side. She is have swollen gum. She is suffering from pain. She always show her finger towards teeth. Also her mouth is also giving very bad smell. Please suggest some medicine doctor.

#

Kindly answer the following questions for a better understanding. Is she having fever as well, if yes how severe because it may probably be infected and may need an antibiotic course. This usually happens in children during tooth eruption, you can continue with PCM drops every 6 hourly for pain and swelling.

If severe pain in gums, you can use a pinch of Mucopain gel for local application. Also start a calcium syrup if giving syrup Calcimax P 5 ml twice a day, it would help in tooth eruption.

Fever is approximately 99, sometimes 100 but fever is there since day before yesterday. But apart from pain and fever due to teething. Her mouth is smelling and she ask for water more often and ask me to take her to washroom. Is there any UTI infection also?

#

Temperature till 100 is fine but if it is more, child may need an antibiotic course. I think you can continue with this treatment for 2 days, and if it does not resolve after 2 days or if there is high fever like 101 or 102, we will start an antibiotic. For food, give her food which does not need much chewing for next 2 days like milk porridge, etc.

For urine, if there is no crying during urination or complaining of burning or pain in urination, I do not think of UTI, but if your complaint persists a urine microscopy can always be done to rule out. For pain you can also give syrup Ibugesic 5 ml once or twice a day.

|