Q. What is the reason for increase in resting heart rate?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2019

I am 25 years old. My resting heart rate is above 100. What is the reason?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have worked through your query and understand your health issues. I assure you not worry as you have consulted the appropriate expert physician who will take care of all of your medical concerns.

The reasons for tachycardia are as follows.

1. Thyroid disease.
  2. Poor blood supply to the heart muscle. This may be due to coronary artery disease (atherosclerosis), heart valve disease, heart failure, heart muscle disease, tumors, or infections.
  3. High blood pressure.
  4. Lung diseases.
  5. Electrolyte imbalance.
  6. Alcohol or drug abuse.
  7. Emotional stress.
  8. Drinking large amounts of alcoholic or caffeinated beverages, sodas, coffee, tea, and energy drinks.

If you have any other symptoms like shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, fainting, etc., then consult a cardiologist for proper physical evaluation and treatment if needed.

He may also prescribe some medicine to control heartbeat and blood pressure.

Also, there are ways to treat tachycardia with home remedies.

|