Q. Which thermometer is better, digital or analog?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

Hi doctor,

I feel like my forehead is hot, and I have a fever. I have both digital and analog thermometer. The underarm temperature in the analog thermometer shows 98.3 F, and in the mouth, it shows 99 F. The underarm temperature in the digital thermometer shows 98.4 F, and in the mouth, it is 99.1 F. I do not like using AC or fan in the room. Please answer the following questions. Do I have a fever or is it my anxiousness raising my temperature? Should I take Crocin 650 for this? Which thermometer is accurate for fever reading, analog or digital? Where should I place the thermometer for accurate results, underarm or the mouth? For the analog thermometer, how long is the standard time to hold the thermometer for an accurate reading?



Welcome to

  • Firstly, this is not a fever. Both thermometers are accurate, but analog is better. Mouth is better for checking the temperature and 1 to 2 minutes is sufficient for checking the temperature.
  • Normally, oral temperature is more than axillary temperature by 0.5 to 1 F, so whatever you are seeing is a normal variation. In medical practice, we considered fever when the oral temperature in the evening is above 99.9 F. Also, in the morning, more than 99 F can be considered as a fever. But some variation does occur in these temperatures.
  • So overall, 100 F or more is usually considered as a fever. The fever would have importance if it associated with other symptoms like a cough, weight loss, appetite loss, and any other symptoms. I think whatever you are having is probably feverishness and anxiety.
  • Still, you can get some blood test like total leucocyte count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and CRP (C-reactive protein). These are the inflammatory marker and will be elevated in a fever. So, if these are normal, then that further gives assurance.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. I have attached my test reports, it contains ESR and total leukocyte count. But, I did not get the CRP done. Is CRP necessary? Please advice.



Welcome back to,

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Your reports are normal, so no need to get CRP done. It is just a feeling and not a fever. Just monitor your temperature. If you have any symptoms or your doubt persists, then you can get yourself examined in detailed by a local physician.

All the best.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply. My ESR value is three units more than the normal range. I hope it is not something to worry?



Welcome back to

  • No, it is not at all an issue. This much variation is acceptable. It is normal. Do not worry.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Which is the most accurate method to measure body temperature?

Hi doctor,I have a question regarding body temperature measurement ... The anal temperature is the best way to measure the core temperature of the body ...   Read full

Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. What can be done?

.. be because of a highfever, or because of urine infection or malaria. As of now use the below medication. Syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol) 5 ml/240 mg, 4 ml if fever greater than 100 F every sixth hourly. Sponging with lukewarm water until the fever d...   Read full

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

.. symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This artic...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.