Q. Which thermometer is better, digital or analog?

Published on Jun 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I feel like my forehead is hot, and I have a fever. I have both digital and analog thermometer. The underarm temperature in the analog thermometer shows 98.3 F, and in the mouth, it shows 99 F. The underarm temperature in the digital thermometer shows 98.4 F, and in the mouth, it is 99.1 F. I do not like using AC or fan in the room. Please answer the following questions. Do I have a fever or is it my anxiousness raising my temperature? Should I take Crocin 650 for this? Which thermometer is accurate for fever reading, analog or digital? Where should I place the thermometer for accurate results, underarm or the mouth? For the analog thermometer, how long is the standard time to hold the thermometer for an accurate reading?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Firstly, this is not a fever. Both thermometers are accurate, but analog is better. Mouth is better for checking the temperature and 1 to 2 minutes is sufficient for checking the temperature.
  • Normally, oral temperature is more than axillary temperature by 0.5 to 1 F, so whatever you are seeing is a normal variation. In medical practice, we considered fever when the oral temperature in the evening is above 99.9 F. Also, in the morning, more than 99 F can be considered as a fever. But some variation does occur in these temperatures.
  • So overall, 100 F or more is usually considered as a fever. The fever would have importance if it associated with other symptoms like a cough, weight loss, appetite loss, and any other symptoms. I think whatever you are having is probably feverishness and anxiety.
  • Still, you can get some blood test like total leucocyte count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and CRP (C-reactive protein). These are the inflammatory marker and will be elevated in a fever. So, if these are normal, then that further gives assurance.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. I have attached my test reports, it contains ESR and total leukocyte count. But, I did not get the CRP done. Is CRP necessary? Please advice.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com,

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your reports are normal, so no need to get CRP done. It is just a feeling and not a fever. Just monitor your temperature. If you have any symptoms or your doubt persists, then you can get yourself examined in detailed by a local physician.

All the best.

Thank you for the reply. My ESR value is three units more than the normal range. I hope it is not something to worry?

#

• No, it is not at all an issue. This much variation is acceptable. It is normal. Do not worry.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is jaundice in a newborn dangerous? What has to be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 38 weeks and baby is 2.8 kg in weight. Yesterday evening the doctor told us that the baby has jaundice at 3.3 and now it is 5.3 What should we do for this? Is it dangerous? Hospital people said yesterday it was mild and does not need tre...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice developing in a baby after 24 hours of life is physiological jaundice and does not require any treatment unless it crosses a limit assigned. Various factors are taken into account like: S bilirubin. Baby blood group. Mother's blood group. Gestational a...  Read Full

If my period is on 9th, when will I ovulate?

Query: Hi doctor, If my period ends on the 9th of the month,  when do I ovulate for me to get pregnant? I think I am having unprotected sex at the wrong time. I do not know the right time. My period always skips two days each month. I am also taking prenatal vitamins to help me get pregnant  Read Full >>

Dr. Sharmila Naik

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many important factors for a pregnancy to get established, like a favourable endometrium along with not only the proper timing of coitus. Also, prenatal vitamins will prevent any congenital disabilities in the baby and do not help to get pregnant. Do continue...  Read Full

What is the exact dose of Meftal-P for a 22 months old?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter got fever since last night. It has been 24 hours and her fever is between 102 and 103.5 degree Fahrenheit. She has no other symptom till now. She is 22 months old. We are giving her Fevago drops. What can we do for her?  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a viral fever, so continue giving Paracetamol that is Fevago every 4 to 5 hours irrespective of fever. If fever is above 101 degree Fahrenheit, then start tepid sponging and give Meftal-P syrup (Mefenamic acid) instead of Paracetamol. If the fever...  Read Full