Q. Can burning sensation of throat occur from acid reflux?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 40 year old male. I just like to share a problem with you related to my throat. For the last 10 days or so, I am feeling a scratch or burning like sensation behind the uvula. I do not have any problem with eating. The sensation tends to remain silent at night during sleep, but again started to feel the same throughout the day. I do smoke and drink as well. Further, I have some small multiple round cracks in the middle of my tongue. I am quite worried, especially on the burning sensation part. Thank you.

#

• Burning sensation behind throat is most commonly caused due to acid reflux. It can be also due to chronic smoking.
  • As you smoke and drink, you have much more chance of acid reflux.
  • I suggest you to avoid spicy, oily food for two weeks and tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, get a thorough physical examination and take the tablet with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

No, actually I have seen through the mirror a scratch or cut like something. But, it is very difficult to see by myself. Is there a need for any Vitamin or any other healing medicine?

#

• Scratch mark or cut is not expected at that location without any trauma.
  • I hope that you did not have any trauma or injury.
  • Even if it is such condition, treatment would be the same tablet and vitamin tablets, which you already taking (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and saline water gargle thrice daily.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|