Q. Will my wisdom tooth cause throat pain?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
Published on Aug 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have been suffering from throat pain, red tonsil and entire jaw and neck pain. My wisdom tooth also paining for the last two to three months. When I visited an ENT doctor for my throat pain, he said that I do not have any problem inside the neck. He also advised me to visit a dentist. I had medicine antibiotics for throat pain, but still pain is there. Can you please help with that? Is that wisdom tooth causing pain in my throat?

#

I have gone through your query and photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The pain, which is present due to wisdom tooth, must be ruled out earlier by consulting a dentist.
  • Because in this case, physical examination and x-ray are necessary. So, consult your nearby dentist as early as possible.
  • For tooth pain and throat pain, I suggest tablet Augmentin-DUO 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) if no allergy, twice in a day at the interval of 12 hours and Tablet Vetory-SP (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) with milk, twice in a day at the interval of 12 hours for five days.
  • I also suggest capsule PAN-D (Pantoprazole), once in a day before 15 minutes of meal at the interval of 24 hours for five days. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

X-ray of painful wisdom tooth.

Revert back with the x-ray report to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have got an x-ray of my mouth. Please see that attachment and share your review.

#

I have seen your attached photograph of OPG - orthopantomogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Clinically and radiographically, your wisdom tooth on the lower right side that is painful is not affecting the surrounding soft tissues and teeth.
  • So, if you get relief from pain only by taking painkiller, then take the painkiller alone. If the pain remains even after medicines, then you will have to go for the removal of it by minor surgical procedure only after your dentist's advice.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper. So, if the cavi...  Read Full

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. If it is giving you any sort of problem or giving you discomfort, you need to remove it immediately. There are chances of cyst formation in some cases too, if the impaction is not treated. You can dela...  Read Full

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full