Q. Is it safe to take thyroid tablet during breastfeeding?

Dr. Swaraj S W
Published on Oct 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2019

One and a half year back, I was diagnosed with thyroid with the TSH value of around 7.24. I was advised to take Thyronorm 25 mcg daily. I had delivered a baby before two months. I did TSH at that time and the reading was 0.08. Then I stopped the medication as per doctor's advice. On repeating the test in a month interval, the report came out to be 4.5, and I am still not advised to take any medicine. Should I stay off forever or only till I breastfeed the baby? Please suggest.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

My advice is, as of now stop the medication. After six weeks, do a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and anti-TPO (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) test on an empty stomach. If anti-TPO is positive, you may require treatment later.

| 

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

I am suffering from hypothyroidism and taking eltroxin and thyronorm. But cholesterol is raising. What to do?

Query: Hello, I am suffering from hypothyroidism and taking eltroxin and thyronorm. But cholesterol level is raising. What to do? Age - 46 years, female. Height-160cm. Weight - 58kg  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now