Q. Is it safe to take thyroid tablet during breastfeeding?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2019

One and a half year back, I was diagnosed with thyroid with the TSH value of around 7.24. I was advised to take Thyronorm 25 mcg daily. I had delivered a baby before two months. I did TSH at that time and the reading was 0.08. Then I stopped the medication as per doctor's advice. On repeating the test in a month interval, the report came out to be 4.5, and I am still not advised to take any medicine. Should I stay off forever or only till I breastfeed the baby? Please suggest.

#

My advice is, as of now stop the medication. After six weeks, do a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and anti-TPO (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) test on an empty stomach. If anti-TPO is positive, you may require treatment later.

|