Q. I have a tingling sensation of hands and pain in my fingers. Why?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

My MRI scan report shows:

1. Right central disc protrusion causing minimal thecal sac indentation which is seen just abutting the spinal cord at C5-C6 level.
  2. Disc protrusion causing subtle thecal sac indentation at C6-C7 level.
  3. Disc protrusion causing subtle thecal sac indentation at C4-C5 level.
  4. Disc protrusion causing subtle thecal sac indentation at L3-L4 level.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I read your query and went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It shows there may be a minimal indentation of the thecal sac at cervical 5 and 6 vertebrae, and mild indentation at few other cervical levels due to a disc prolapse, which might cause a headache, a neck pain or a tingling sensation of the upper limbs.

And, if the indentation is too severe, it causes vertigo and a reeling sensation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Yes, I do have a tingling sensation of the upper limbs and a pain in the middle finger and thumb.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

A tingling sensation of the upper limbs and pain is mainly due to a compression of the spinal nerves because of a disc prolapse.

You can use a cervical collar to relieve the pressure on the nerve.

I suggest you take tablet Gabarich (Gabapentin and Methylcobalamin) 150 mg once daily at night time for 15 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Also, what kind of work do you do?

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

Hearing has deteriorated significantly with vertigo. Can it be due to acoustic neuroma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in ...  Read Full »

Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something els...  Read Full »