Q. How to confirm if my 1-year-old baby is addicted to the smell of Gutka taken by a relative?

Dr. Prakash Nagar
My baby is one year old, i dought that he is getting addicted to the smell of "gutka" intaken by one of my relatives and he takes my baby everyday. He is 70 year's old, whenever my baby sees him my baby gets crazy and after going to him baby never wants to come back easily even to his mother. Plz help wheather it is addiction to intoxicating smell or its normsl over attraction to old person. Plz help me snd my baby.

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Hi, The very first thing , confirm whether your relative is giving 'Gutka' to your baby also ? What kind of Gutka he is taking ?

Baby may get addiction if he has got the taste of it and started taking it orally. Addiction with smell is difficult to comment on. Possibility of a normal preference and attraction with the person where your baby is feeling more confortable, more affection or some interesting action which your relative might be having and your baby is enjoying it. I suggest you just keep a close watch. Take care

| 

Thanks sir for ur reply and detailed explanations, he is not giving any gutka to my baby sure, I know that. Plz suggest what behaviourial problem my baby can show if he is really addicted or I can notice the danger signals. Thanks in advance

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Hi, It seems to be a simple preference for the personality of that person and what I explained before that he might be getting some interesting act from that person.

If the person is close relative and you are having full confidence on him then not to worry else you can try to avoid the contact with him slowly. Keep in mind sudden separation or forceful separation may increase the problem. Also when that person is not there, Give your baby more attention and engage him in some good act which he enjoys and laughs on it.

Its a slow process and may take a while but if everything else is normal with your baby like feeding , sleeping etc , then don't worry. Take care.

|