Q. Is it possible to get a sore throat after 20 years of tonsillectomy?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

My tonsils were removed 20 years ago. But yesterday, I felt a sore throat. Can that be an infection? How can that be possible?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern.

There are more than ten different etiological factors that could be responsible for having a sore throat. It is not necessary that a sore throat always has to be due to an infection, and symptoms like acid reflux can be one of the factors creating trouble.

Tonsils are the structures that usually get involved in a sore throat and give rise to additional problems if care is not taken. In short, the tonsil itself is never the primary factor for developing a sore throat. This is the reason why removal of the tonsils does not protect you entirely from developing a sore throat due to other causes.

As for now, if you are having a sore throat with a pricking sensation while swallowing with an ongoing fever or myalgia, then it could be an upper respiratory tract infection due to a viral cause.

I suggest the following;

1) Take a tablet containing a combination of Amoxicillin 500 mg and Potassium clavulanate 125 mg thrice daily for five days. This is an antibiotic and can create tummy upsets at times. If you happen to develop loose motions, you can start probiotics twice daily in the morning and evening for one week. Antibiotics are given to prevent any secondary bacterial infection.

2) Take tablet Zerodol-P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily for five days.

3) Take tablet Pan-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) once daily before breakfast for one week.

4) Kindly do saltwater gargles eight to ten times a day for ten days.

5) Avoid oily, spicy food and beverages.

6) Keep sipping on boiled warm water every three hours.

7) Kindly avoid smoking and alcohol consumption as much as possible.

All precautionary measures have to be followed as much as possible to prevent any recurrences.

I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Warm regards.

|