Q. Can pulling out a molar tooth bring a change in facial features?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Mar 08, 2019

I have an infected root canal. It is a molar and it is next to an implant. I really want to pull it due to money. But I cannot afford an implant and I am concerned about facial features if I pull the tooth and let it go without an implant.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. You can absolutely choose to get the tooth removed in case of financial situations. But what I reckon would be to go for the cheapest replacement options such as a removable partial denture where you still maintain that space next to the implant. Unlike natural tooth, the implant does not shift to the empty space but the load bearing capacity changes. Since there would not be a natural tooth to hold the load every time you chew. It is transferred completely to the implant. So, the more implant gets the load the more chances of its failure rate.

A removable denture for the lost molar will help distribution of the chewing load. And please do not worry about the facial features. It is not going to get affected at all if you remove the molar tooth. Aesthetics is a concern only with the front teeth and not with the molars.

Why is my dental implant getting reinfected often?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth removed and a dental implant done five months ago. About three months ago it got infected. I went to my dentist, who cleaned out the infection and prescribed antibiotics. The infection did not go away, so I was prescribed antibiotics two more times. Once again, the infe...  Read Full »

How to treat the infected tooth present with pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lot of pain on my right side upper and lower jaw. I have a wisdom tooth on the upper jaw. Before two days, the tooth directly below the wisdom tooth got broken, and it is causing pain. I am scared of going to the dentist. What can I do now? Please help me.  Read Full »

How to reduce the swelling that occurred due to infected tooth and sinus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got a decayed tooth at the upper backside region. Now, I have got a sinus infection. Can I consult a dentist soon?  Read Full »