Q. My tooth remains sensitive inspite of wearing a crown. Why?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

My dentist went for a crown for my molar because my molar was too sensitive. Now the sensitivity has reduced but not gone completely. My crown was fixed before two years. What can I do?

#

Crowning the tooth could not be a solution for sensitivity, and moreover, you say that you still feel the tooth to be sensitive. There is a high chance that the molar with the crown is not the culprit. Also, the sensitivity could be for two reasons.

1. Enamel wear exposing the next layer of the tooth(dentin).

2. Initial stages of tooth decay.

Hence, my advice for you is to get a complete oral check done, and I suspect tooth decay in any teeth opposing the molar you mentioned. On the other hand, treatment options for sensitivity as in reason are, either switching on to an anti-sensitive toothpaste or applying anti-sensitive gels or creams on the tooth surfaces.

|