iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologytopical steroidsMy skin got damaged after the use of cortisone cream. Please help.

How to heal a damaged skin following the use of cortisone cream?

How to heal a damaged skin following the use of cortisone cream?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 1, 2018
Reviewed AtMay 8, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 26 years old. I am trying to find a way to heal my skin after abuse of cortisone creams. Quite specifically, in between my eyebrows, my skin is seriously thin and looks damaged. I stopped using the cortisone creams before four years, and I was given them to use due to allergic reaction hives. I am skeptical of using acids and any chemicals. I have hyperpigmentation on my forehead and do not want to worsen it. I have been reading vitamin C and vitamin E creams, but do not know which is the best. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rashmi Singh


Welcome to icliniq.com.

    How long did you use cortisone cream over the face?

    Repair of steroid-induced damage requires a lot of patience. In mild to moderate cases, gentle cleanser - Cetyl alcohol based with barrier repair agents containing Ceramide and Hyaluronic acid suffice. In cases where damage is severe, we recommend an immunomodulator cream like Pimecrolimus. But, I would not suggest it without your physician checking your skin. For now, I suggest moisturizing sunscreen during the day and barrier repair creams at night.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Rashmi Singh
Dr. Rashmi Singh


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy