Q. My creatinine levels are high. Are there any lifestyle changes I must make?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2021

My creatinine level is 1.7 mg/dL. I am a diabetic, and I was on regular medication for the same. I also take Nefrosave tablets. My blood sugar levels dropped to 59 mg/dL all of a sudden. My physician advised me to stop taking Glycomet 850. After 10 days, he checked my creatinine level, which was still at 1.7 mg/dL. Please guide me regarding the precautionary measures and the diet I should follow.

#

You will need to repeat the urea and creatinine tests after two weeks in order to rule out chronic kidney disease. It is important to attribute this to a particular cause to effectively prevent further increase in creatinine levels.

The likely cause could be diabetes or hypertension. So, it is important to get your blood pressure checked frequently, about two to three times a day for up to four days, in order to rule out hypertension-induced damage.

I suggest you get the following tests done:

1. Ultrasound of kidneys.
  2. 24-hour urinary albumin.
  3. Protein tests.
  4. HbA1C.
  5. Fasting blood sugar.
  6. Post meal blood sugar.

If the 24-hour urinary protein is increased, then treatment is very different. So, it is important that you get the tests done from a reputable diagnostic center. I suggest you try doing the following:

1. Have low-salt, low-fat, and low-calorie diet.
  2. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
  3. Include lots of green leafy vegetables.
  4. Avoid red meat.
  5. Exercise regularly.

Consult your physician before taking any medications, including ayurvedic. Avoid painkillers like Nimesulide, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, etc. Ultracet (combination of Tramadol and Acetaminophen) is a safer alternative. Hope this helps.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for replying. Is tobacco chewing harmful in my condition?

#

• Tobacco contains nicotine and other harmful chemicals, which may cause your blood pressure to rise. Tobacco products are best avoided.

|