Q. I spent three hours with a TB patient who is on medication. Will I also get infected?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I spent about three hours with my relative's family today as there was a family emergency at my relative's family side. One of my relatives has had TB for several years now and is on medication. I am not sure at what stage the TB is for that relative. He is not too seriously sick. He goes to work as usual.

All the time, I was wearing double masks and a face shield. We traveled through the car for few hours, and I just removed my mask a few times during the day to drink water and while having tea. I did not share any of my drinks with that TB-positive relative. As TB also spreads via air, I would like to know if I am at risk of getting TB inflection due to this interaction. Kindly provide your advice.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently come in close contact with a TB (tuberculosis) patient for three hours, and you want to know the risk of being infected.

A person can transmit TB to others before a TB diagnosis. A person with TB is highly contagious until he has taken his antitubercular drugs for at least two weeks. After taking antitubercular drugs for two weeks, usually, they cannot spread TB to others, and the infection is no longer contagious.

So, you have no chance of getting TB. Do not be worried at all.

Take care. In case of any other queries, please ask me.

I heard my relative saying he takes 11 tablets for TB every day. So that means that my relative can no longer become a spreader of TB after the initial two weeks after he has acquired TB. I am just making sure that I cannot get infected with TB from my relative.

Please advise.

#

Yes, you are right. Your relative can no longer become a spreader of TB after the initial two weeks of taking antitubercular drugs after he has acquired TB.

He has already completed his twin weeks quota of taking antitubercular drugs, so he cannot spread TB anymore, and you have no risk of getting TB.

So, do not be worried at all. In case of any other queries, please get back to me.

Today I just visited a nearby clinic to have a check of my sugar and BP.

Sugar was 103 mg/dl post three hours of lunch, and BP was 140/90. I need to know if my BP reading is termed as high BP? Will just one reading of high BP, is sufficient to diagnose a high BP issue? My Father is a BP patient who is suffering from Wallenberg syndrome (unable to swallow). So high BP scares me.

Please advise on these queries.

#

Your blood sugar level is within the normal limit. Your BP (blood pressure) reading of 140/90 mm of Hg indicates mild hypertension (HTN) or mild high pressure. But, one high reading of blood pressure will never confirm hypertension. Atleast seven to ten day's two times daily (in the morning and at night), blood pressure readings are needed. Their average result can indicate HTN or persistent high blood pressure.

A sudden rise of BP can result from anxiety, stress, lack of proper sleep, exertion, emotional disturbances, etc. The sudden rise of BP once or twice can happen in every person's life at any stage of life.

So, do not be worried at all. Monitor your blood pressure twice daily for seven to ten days, and then watch the average reading. If the average reading is slightly high, then take anxiolytic at night for seven days and monitor your BP twice for seven to ten days and watch the average reading. In case of persistent high blood pressure, lifestyle modifications and mild antihypertensive medication may be needed.

So, do not be worried at all. One or two sudden rises in blood pressure do not confirm hypertension.

Take care. In case of any other queries, please get back to me.

|