Q. I have left-sided headache, ear pain, and toothache. Please help.

Dr. Marianne Pia F. Almario

I am a 20-year-old female. I have been experiencing the following symptoms for about two weeks.

My symptoms are headaches that have been constant for more than a week now. At first, I thought the headaches were just because I slept late and lack sleep hours. But they still hurt even when I am well rested. Most of the time it is just on the left side of my head. The pain that I am feeling is like something is pressing/poking on my left temple.

My ear has been aching as well. The pain is inside my left ear. It hurt when I try to press on the bone behind my ear. Sometimes, I feel that there is a wax build up on my left ear but when I tilt my head there is nothing coming out. Recently, my tooth hurts and this is the tooth which has a cavity and I did not go to the dentist yet.

There are times that all three (my head, ear, and tooth) hurt at the same time but most of the time it is just my head that hurts. I frequently feel my head hurts in the morning and evening. I do not have fever, my throat does not hurt and I can hear things clearly. Aside from these symptoms, I have never had any allergies or serious medical conditions. I feel completely fine except for the head, ear, and toothache.

Dr. Marianne Pia F. Almario

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I am sorry you do not feel well. Your headache could be secondary to your infections (ear infection and dental caries). I suggest you take antibiotics for a week and pain reliever and let us observe how it will go. Upon starting the antibiotic, the improvement must be noted within three to four days.

Here are the medicines I suggest you take:

1. Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid)) 625 mg take one tablet thrice daily every 8 hours for seven days. To be taken after a meal.

2. Mefenamic acid (Dolfenal) 500 mg take one capsule thrice daily every eight hours as needed for pain.

Please make sure that you are not pregnant before taking the Mefenamic acid.

Please follow up after three to four days if no improvement is noted.

|