Q. I had unprotected anal intercourse with a random guy and have anal itching. Is it HIV?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 23-year-old guy and worried about whether I am infected with HIV or not. Below are my details.

I had a high-risk exposure of unprotected anal intercourse with a random guy. After around seven weeks, I somehow started panicking about HIV infection. I did HIV 1 and 2 antibody p24 antigen test after 53 days of my exposure, which came negative. I was relaxed, but around the tenth week after exposure, I started feeling fatigued, and around the 12th week, I had an uncomfortable feeling in the throat and anal itching. I went to the doctor, and she told me because I am stressed, these things are happening, and I had a bad tonsil. She gave me Azithral (Azithromycin) for tonsil, it got cured, but I can still feel massive throat. I repeated the same HIV ELISA test at 12th week (86 days after exposure), which was also negative. Again I went to the doctor around 13th week for anal itching about which the doctor told is a fungal infection, which can be due to sweating and moisture in that area. She also suggested I have few ulcers on the back of the tongue and prescribed me regular gargle and antifungal cream to apply around the anal opening and said to me to join the gym to improve immunity.

My questions are, can I consider my seventh week and the 12th week fourth-generation HIV ELISA test conclusive? Or I was tested negative because my body was unable to produce antibodies till 12th week as my symptoms started around 11th week. Are these symptoms HIV-related? My doctor told me not to worry about HIV, and as I was very much stressed, I think noticing the signs; she told me this to alleviate my stress; otherwise, why did she tell me to join the gym to improve immunity? I think I have a weak immune system because this was told to me during my childhood days as I frequently fell sick during that time. Can this be the reason that my body did not produce antibodies till the 12th week? The doctor told me that people usually get a positive result by the 12th week if infected, but I am still scared of seeing my symptoms of throat and fungal anal infection. Should I go for retesting? It will be the 15th week now, and I am afraid of getting this positive seeing my recent symptoms. I am still feeling slight joint pains and weakness. Can these be due to early HIV infection? I am anxious. Am I HIV infected? Please reply.

#

1. Initially, it takes 3 to 12 weeks for the antibodies against HIV to develop in any person irrespective of the person's immunity and the duration of onset of symptoms.

2. Next, suppose your ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is negative in the 12th week. In that case, it is doubtful that you are infected with HIV, but to be still completely sure, get an HIV PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test now and repeat ELISA after one month from now and after six months of exposure. If these come negative, then HIV is ruled out.

3. The symptoms you are having are very non-specific and are also seen in early HIV syndrome, but since your ELISA at the 12th week is negative, the chances are less.

4. The anal itching and fungal infection can be part of STD (sexually transmitted disease), which you may have contracted during intercourse. If your doctor has prescribed medicines for the same, then continue the same.

Finally, my advice, in general, is do not worry a lot; what is done is done. In the future, always use protection. Everything will be fine. Take care.

| 

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full »

What is the dosage for Nemocid?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is three years old. He weights 11.6 kilograms. He is given Nemocid for every six months for disinfection. What is the dose of Nemocid for him now? The previous dose was 2.5 ml. If Nemoacid is not suitable, what is the other medicine advised for him? Please help.  Read Full »

What should I apply for anal itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel very itchy around the anus. It feels like I need to press around the periphery for it to stop. There is no pain, just irritation. I have had hemorrhoids once before, but this is not the same. I do not feel any pimples or problems in opening bowel. I tried Glyvenol cream for a f...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now