Q. Why do I feel itchy after taking bath during hot climate?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

When it is hot I feel itchy after taking a bath. This feeling can last for around 15 minutes. I also feel itchy when I start to sweat but when I sweat a lot after some times the itchiness decreases. I also feel uncomfortable at night sometimes. Using a fan just makes the itchiness much worse. Lastly, there are no visible effects on the skin.

#

You are actually suffering from aquagenic urticaria. Such patients are actually allergic to water content and or temperature changes lead to histamine release thus itching. This condition is most of the time very resistant to treatment. Only treatment is that you take antihistaminics daily. Sometimes in some patients, it resolves on its own after some months or years.

Take care to avoid extreme changes in the heat. Take antihistaminic plus Montelukast tablet like Fexofenadine and Montelukast 180 mg daily for four weeks and use calamine lotion.

Some people report relief after doing exercise they have an itching for few minutes after sweating due to exercise but during whole of the day then they feel relieved. Different people behave differently according to the level of allergy they have.

In your case, according to your description, I suspect that you are allergic to water content and change in temperature. So kindly take care to avoid such situation that is not always possible. So take the tablet and Calamine lotion which I have advised.

| 

How to get quick relief from cold and nasal congestion?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is a diabetic and also hypertension patient. She is 66 years old. She is on regular diabetes and anti-hypertensive medicine. Now, she has severe cold, nasal congestion and ear congestion. Which medicine can be taken? Will Cetirizine be effective?  Read Full »

Dust and perfume make me cough. How can I get better?

Query: Hello doctor,Since many years, I am facing a sinusitis problem. When I catch the flu, it gets worse. This time, I caught the flu twice this month. The sinustis got worse and I visited a doctor who prescribed me with a course of Fexet, Klaricid, and Ventek. He said that I need to take Ventek for thr...  Read Full »

I have runny nose and watery eyes for many years. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I have a runny nose and watery eyes. It is there for many years. It is like some allergy and I keep sneezing. When I take Montelukast tablets, it gets fine. But I do not like to take medicines every day.  Read Full »