Q. How will a 7 mm uterine fibroid impact my life?

Published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I am a 28 year old female, and today I went for an ultrasound scan of the abdomen, as advised by my family physician. My test report shows small hypoechoic lesion of 7 mm in the fundus myometrium. It is indicative of a fibroid, and my endometrial thickness is 7 mm. What is the meaning of this 7 mm lesion? How will it impact my health?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? If I may suggest, just forget the report, let me explain why.

Fibroids or myomas are harmless masses in the uterus, which are hormone dependent. It keeps growing as long as you have estrogen, so once your hormones stop after menopause, it will cease to grow and may regress. They never turn malignant.

If you scan 100 ladies randomly, 50 to 70 % ladies will have fibroids of varying size. But they should never be treated unless they are causing some symptoms like excessive or intermittent bleeding during periods, excessive vaginal discharge, severe pain in the lower abdomen during periods, pressure symptoms on the bladder or bowel or back or kidney, or if the fibroid is interfering with the baby.

We advise any fibroid of more than 5 cm should be removed, it grows at 1 to 2 mm per year, so you should have no problem.

So just forget it, maybe have a scan again after 2 to 3 years or when trying for pregnancy. Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing irregular periods problem from one year (since I took I-pill). I took I-pill in fear of getting pregnant although I did not have sex till now. I am still a virgin, but physically active with my boyfriend. I am putting on weight due to irregular periods and stomach disturba...  Read Full »