Q. How will a 7 mm uterine fibroid impact my life?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I am a 28 year old female, and today I went for an ultrasound scan of the abdomen, as advised by my family physician. My test report shows small hypoechoic lesion of 7 mm in the fundus myometrium. It is indicative of a fibroid, and my endometrial thickness is 7 mm. What is the meaning of this 7 mm lesion? How will it impact my health?

#

How are you doing? If I may suggest, just forget the report, let me explain why.

Fibroids or myomas are harmless masses in the uterus, which are hormone dependent. It keeps growing as long as you have estrogen, so once your hormones stop after menopause, it will cease to grow and may regress. They never turn malignant.

If you scan 100 ladies randomly, 50 to 70 % ladies will have fibroids of varying size. But they should never be treated unless they are causing some symptoms like excessive or intermittent bleeding during periods, excessive vaginal discharge, severe pain in the lower abdomen during periods, pressure symptoms on the bladder or bowel or back or kidney, or if the fibroid is interfering with the baby.

We advise any fibroid of more than 5 cm should be removed, it grows at 1 to 2 mm per year, so you should have no problem.

So just forget it, maybe have a scan again after 2 to 3 years or when trying for pregnancy. Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|