Q. What causes white vaginal discharge with irregular periods?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

I am 19 years old and I am experiencing problems with my periods for some time now. Three months back I had my period on regular date and experienced bleeding for 1 and a half month. I am experiencing similar problem of prolonged periods for about 4 years now. It happens once or twice per year. I have been on short medications every time I had the problem. Also when I was 17 I did not have my periods for 2 months and a local gynecologist prescribed me birth control pills for 28 days and I completed the course after which I was told that my prolactin level has raised up for which I was on medication for a month. Currently I am on an ayurvedic treatment and my last period lasted for 5 days and with a normal bleeding but I am having a white vaginal discharge for a week or so now which is also a bit smelly and does not seem to be normal. What should I do?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You have got vaginal infection. If you need treatment then kindly follow up. Also for period problem, is it controlled after taking Ayurvedic medication?

| 

Yes,

It is controlled I guess. I had my periods normally the last time. Are the infection and my period problems related?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Infection and periods are not related. Ur age is 19 years. Period irregularities is common in teen age. You can use birth control pills for 5 to 6 months to regularize it. It will not harm you. I am prescribing you medicine for vaginal infection as well as for periods regularization. If you do not want to start medicine for periods regularization now, then do not start as it is controlled. But kindly start medicine for vaginal infection. Make sure you do not have any allergy from any of these medicine which I am giving you. Medicine for periods regularization is tablet Ovral L. It needs to be started from day 2 to 3 of menses for 21 days every month for 6 months. I am mentioning name here so you will not get confused.

Bacterial Vaginosis.

Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 5 days, Tblet Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days, Tablet Rantac 150 mg twice daily for 5 days, cream Clotrin to be applied around vagina thrice daily for 5 days.

After 1 week

|