Q. There is some redness along with ulceration near vagina in a baby. Kindly advise.

Dr. Atiqur Rahman Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

My 4 years old daughter has redness around her vaginal wall. It looks as if it is an ulcer type or something. It hurts her a lot and frequent urination was there. We took her to pediatrician. He recommended us UTI course. Zocan and Trofan 2.5 mg was given. And Cadid V gel is given. It has been 10 days. But still she complains of leg pain and pain near urethra. Should we go fo sonography? Please let me know.

#

I need more detail history from you, whether there is fever or burning micturation, or itching around vagina or any discharge from it. How is her behavior after these symptoms? As you have mentioned that there is 1 cut on vagina, how did this cut happen? Pain, burning or stinging when passing urine. Suspect pain if a young child starts to cry while passing urine.

The feeling of "cannot wait" to pass urine may occur. This is called urgency. Passing small amounts of urine at a time often. This is called frequency. New onset of day or night-time wetting. Pain in the lower tummy may also occur. If the kidney is infected, the pain is in the flank. The flank is the side right below the ribs. UTIs are a common cause of fevers without other symptoms in young children. The urine may be cloudy and have a bad odor. Sometimes, there is some blood in the urine.

UTI on top of the list
Interstitial Cystitis
Vulvovaginitis
Trauma Or Injury
Child Abuse
The vulva is the area outside the vagina. Soaps can cause this area to be red, sore and itchy. This can lead to UTIs. Stool that gets on the vulva is another big factor. This can happen with careless wiping. It can also happen with constipation.
A rare cause is if the bladder is not emptied all the way. Reason: Urine that stays in the bladder too long can become infected.
Cystitis is more common in girls than boys. This is due to the much shorter length of the urethra in girls.

needs urine RE (A clean catch urine sample needs to be tested. A UTI is confirmed by finding white blood cells in the urine. A positive culture for bacteria is also needed.)
Repeat Urine c/s
USG abdomen

UTI on top of the list
Interstitial Cystitis
Vulvovaginitis
Trauma Or Injury
Child Abuse

UTI on top of the list
vascicuuretric reflux or obstraction in urinary tract
Interstitial Cystitis
Vulvovaginitis
Trauma Or Injury
R/O Child Abuse ( AFTER PROPER EXAMINATION AND HISTORY )

Education (clean from front to back) after defecation
plenty of oral fluids
cranberries drinks

plenty of oral fluids

Follow up after reports urine and usg pelvis and abdomen

|