Q. How to treat a varicocele?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have an issue with an overactive bulbourethral gland causing excessive amounts of precum. Due to this, it can sometimes cause a back up of the foreskin which results in pressure and what I would call the entire descent of the vas deferens into the scrotum. This also causes stomach pain and difficulty while going to the bathroom. Do you have any recommendations on this issue?

Thank you.



Welcome to

Precum comes from various glands, including the bulbourethral gland. However, the sperm from the testes have a separate tube (vas) that carries sperm to the urethra. This is unlikely to get temporarily clogged by other secretions. Prostatic glands also have separate openings into the urethra. Also, we need to understand that sperms from vas are not immediately ejaculated. They are temporarily stored in the seminal vesicles near the prostate, and when we ejaculate, these vesicles contract to release sperm and seminal secretion into the urethra. After ejaculation, sometimes there is difficulty passing urine for some time till all the pelvic muscles are relaxed.

What you describe as 'descent of vas' may be prominent veins in the scrotum called a varicocele. I would suggest sonography of your prostate and scrotal Doppler to rule out prostate swelling or varicocele.

Thank you.

Hello doctor,

Does having interactions with the one I love causes my Cowper's gland to overreact as if I was going to ejaculate? Do you think that might be a brain thing? Does it resemble a bowl of spaghetti, as this is what it feels like during a physical examination?

Thank you.



Welcome back to

Yes, that is what I was suggesting; this bowl of spaghetti or bag of worms thing is seen in varicocele. It needs evaluation and examination by your doctor before calling it a brain thing. A urologist is a person who can help you. So you are in the correct department. But it will need proper workup to find the cause.

Take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will varicocele in testicle cause male infertility?

.. through your post. Well, there is about 4 % possibility of infertility in people with varicocele, but usually, it is seen in people with bilateral varicocele. So, I do not think you should worry. Just take meds. If you are still concerned, do a s...   Read full

Is it normal to have bulging veins in arms and legs with pain?

.. looks like varicose vein. Veins will bulge when you are standing or moving around when unlike down it regressed and blood flows back into the deeper veins and empty back into the heart. Varicosity is due to incompetence or weakness in the valves w...   Read full

What shall I do for spider veins and swollen legs?

.. gone through all the data posted. Regarding cholesterol, I suppose what you have said 302 is total cholesterol. It is elevated, but I need to know two other values like LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level and HDL (high-density lipoprot...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.