Q. Do stomach cramp and chest pain accompany Streptococcal infection?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I have left-sided crampy stomach pain and chest pain which is mostly located under breast, near ribcage. About two years ago I got Streptococcal infection, pneumonia and bronchitis at the same time. In ER, they prescribed Amoxicillin. But it did not work for me as I am allergic to Penicillin and Amoxicillin. That is the only time I can remember being in this pain. Three weeks back again I had Streptococcal infection. My doctor said that I might have flu and I am on Azithromycin now. I am wondering are stomach cramps, chest pain, back pain, and labored breathing symptoms of flu? Please do the needful.

#

I have read your query and understood your health concern.

• As you had Streptococcal infection three weeks back, it might have spread to the lower respiratory tract.
  • Infection of the lower respiratory tract by Streptococcus can cause pneumonia or pneumonitis which can cause breathing difficulty and chest pain.
  • Abdominal pain and back pain are not specific symptoms of Streptococcal infection but patient can have these symptoms. Even most of the viral infections can also produce such symptoms.
  • Reasons for nonresolving infection may be inadequate dosage of the antibiotic or infection by drug resistant organism. You may need a change in your current antibiotic.
  • You need proper evaluation. Consult a physician and get your complete blood count, chest x-ray, nasal and throat swab culture and PCR (polymerase chain reaction) done. On chest x-ray, the cause for your symptoms will become clear.

Infection by Streptococcus or viral.

1. Complete blood count.
2. Chest x-ray.
3. Nasal and throat swab culture.
4. PCR.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|