Q. Is it true that viral infections during early pregnancy causes autism?

Answered by Dr. Eeshani Dutta and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Viral Infection or Pregnancy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Is it true that viral infections during early pregnancy causes autism?

My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about the effect on the baby, particularly because we have read viral infections in early pregnancy can lead to Autism. Do you have any advice about how serious the risks are?