Q. Kindly give your suggestion on vitamin supplements for a 15 months old.

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 15 months old. Her weight is 8.2 kg and height is 80 cm. One of the Pediatricians suggested me to give two supplements to her as follows. Osteocalcium 5 mL per day, which contains Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12 and Calcium phosphate and JusDee 60K granules one sachet per month, 1 sachet = 60000 IU. Is it fine to give? Instead of Jusdee 60K sachet can I give JusDee 400 drops per day? If yes, how much can I give per day? Also, recently, I have noticed that my daughter's first four upper teeth having some white discoloration of enamel during demineralization. Could you please provide your valuable suggestions on it? Thank you.

#

• You are child's weight is lower than normal for the age. Hope she does not have any health or developmental issues.
  • The weight goes with her birth weight and nutrition. Height is good. So probably, I would expect either under nutrition or a delay in growth spurts.
  • As for the supplements, we usually recommend vitamin D drops, 400 IU per day. As it is usually not met through dietary, we prescribe this usually up to 1 year. Is it with any other concern that you have been suggested sachets?
  • If the child has some growth issues or dietary deficiency, then we will ask to continue. If your child has undergone any blood tests and vitamin D is found to be low, then we start on the sachets, 60000 IU weekly.
  • Otherwise, if the child is fine and developing normally, then you can use the drops containing vitamin D 400 U per day.
  • Regarding her teeth, please have a dental visit once. It is difficult to comment without seeing. It might not be related. But, ensure that you are brushing her teeth. If not, then you should start from now.

Undernutrition.

JusDee drops, 1 mL once a day for a month. Continue the other as prescribed.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

You have given good suggestion. I will follow now JusDee drop 1 mL per day and also continue Ostocalcium and Visyneral. This is just for your reference and based on this if you have any more suggestions please let me know. Usually at the age of 15 months, girl child weight should be between 8.2 to 11.5 kg. So, yes, her weight is lower when compared to her height. But, my daughter is absolutely fine with her good growth. Last week, I took her to the pediatrician for her 15 month vaccination. He said that her growth, learning activities and involvement are good. She is very active. So, she burns her calories as she eats and not gaining weight. Do you have any other suggestion?

#

• If she is fine with her development, then nothing much to worry. But, make sure she has a good healthy diet.
  • At this age, they can have any food made at home. And you need not give Osteocalcium syrup if you are giving her JusDee. You can continue with either Osteocalciun 5 mL two times a day or JusDee 1 mL once a day.
  • If you think she is not eating properly, then give her Osteocalciun or else please continue only JusDee. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with her or him and take the medicine.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|