Q. I have white patches in thigh area and waistline. What could this be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am a 24 year old female. I have developed white patches in thigh area and waistline. There is no itching, irritation or pain. Also small white marks are developing in my neck region. What could this be?

#

How long has it been there?

Also attach photographs of the affected areas and revert back to a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Doctor, this started six months back. I had consulted a doctor and had taken medicine for a month, but there has been no improvement. I have attached pictures of the white patches and prescription copy.

#

You are suffering from vitiligo.

Stop tablet Betnesol as they are very harmful and not needed in initial course of this disease.

Continue using Melgain lotion at night, apply a thin film and do not touch it.

Take tablet Octamop 30 mg. This has to be taken in the morning on alternate days and sun exposure after 2 hours for 10 minutes over the affected area.(Do not forget to cover your eyes with black cloth during exposure).

Method of application of Octamop lotion:

• Before applying, wash the patches with soap and water.
  • Apply the correct dilution of Octamop lotion, with the brush provided. Rubbing is not necessary. Wash the finger afterwards to avoid photosensitization and possible burns.
  • One hour after application, expose the areas to sunlight/UVA.
  • After sunlight/UVA exposure, wash off the Octamop lotion from the patches, and cover all the treated vitiligo patches to protect from further ultra-violet radiation.

Sunlight Exposure - Time and Method:

The schedule of exposure to be followed very accurately is as follows:

• Half a minute per day for the first week.
  • One minute per day for the second week.
  • Two minute per day for the third week.
  • After every exposure, the patient should cover all the treated vitiligo patches. This protective measure is essential as most of the local reactions are due to inadvertent exposure and additional solar radiation. The proper time for solar exposure is between 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM.

Revert back to a dermatologist online after a month for review --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|