Q. How to cure vomiting and stomachache caused due to alcohol consumption?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I had alcohol last night; after waking up, I have been vomiting and have stomach aches. I have been vomiting for three to four hours, about five to six times. Please help me.

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. The excess vomiting and stomachache after binge alcohol drinking is due to 3 main reasons-

1) Severe gastritis caused by alcohol.

2) Mallory Weiss tear in the stomach or esophagus.

3) Pancreatitis.

I would suggest you take the following.

1) Tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg twice daily.

2) Tablet Ondem MD (Ondansetron) 8 mg thrice daily.

3) Tablet Oleanz 2.5 mg (Olanzapine) twice daily.

This treatment for two days will settle the symptoms if it is due to acute gastritis, and you will be back to normal. If you do not have blood in your vomiting, mallory weiss tear is out of the picture. The only doubt remaining is pancreatitis which can be confirmed by two tests- serum amylase and serum lipase levels and an ultrasound abdomen. So my suggestion will be to take the treatment as mentioned above and wait for two days. If your symptoms do not resolve, go for the tests as mentioned earlier. But in most cases, it is gastritis only. So, I will suggest going ahead with this, and you will be fine within the next two days. Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|