Q. Will wisdom tooth erupt at the age of 13?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
Published on Jan 23, 2020

Does every wisdom teeth start growing partially erupt or do I percent have something wrong with me? My gum is half on my wisdom teeth (which is now starting to grow) are a bit swollen but the teeth does not look slanted or impacted so far, it hurts a little though. I just wanna know if wisdom teeth always grow half erupted and then slowly fully erupted?

I cannot chew very hard or a lot because it will hurt, there is nothing wrong with my gum it is just on the top of the teeth and swollen but besides that looking normal. The teeth are on the right-hand side bottom of my mouth and I brush my left-hand side of my mouth a lot more than the right so it could be an infection, I am 13, my wisdom teeth probably should not be growing yet, my wisdom teeth on the bottom left side is also half erupted but does not hurt at all. I do not know if it is swollen. I am using numbing cream as of now.

#

Most third molars or wisdom teeth grow half erupted or becomes impacted in most populations. Sometimes, normally erupting teeth can cause pain and swelling. This could probably be your second molar tooth. We will have three molars on each side. The age of eruption of wisdom tooth is 17 to 21 years whereas second molars erupt between 12 to 13 years. This pain and gum swelling could mostly be due to its eruption. This is quite normal.

You can do warm saline mouth rinses thrice daily to manage pain or can continue the same numbing cream to relieve the discomfort. The gums over the erupting tooth will generally be loosely attached, hence they attract food. Food particles get trapped between the loose gums and the tooth thereby causing gum swelling.

Do rinse your mouth after every meal to remove food deposits. This should settle in a couple of days. But if the swelling and pain are not coming down in two to three days, you should visit the dentist and get the swelling examined.

| 

I am having bleeding for over 24 hours after wisdom tooth removal. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and they have been bleeding for over 24 hours. Is this normal?  Read Full »

What causes bad breath after wisdom teeth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest medicine for wisdom tooth pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having wisdom tooth pain and I am currently traveling. Can you please suggest some good pain relief medicine and once I am back home, I shall get it treated. Please find the attached X-ray.  Read Full »