Q. A small white worm came out of my belly button. What specialist should I go to?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

My abdomen has been swelling for months and is quite distended. Something felt like it was moving around in my stomach about eight months ago but I did not pay much attention to it. When I awoke yesterday, my rectum was itching and my belly button felt as if it had been cut. It felt worse after work. So, I faced the mirror and pulled the skin open around my belly button and a small white worm came out. I took pictures of it and have it in a baggie and I contacted my doctor's service but have gotten no response. I have no medical insurance. So, I need to cut to the chase and find out who I need to go to for a diagnosis of the type of parasite and treatment.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post and the images you have posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Generally, there is no communication between the abdomen to the outside through the umbilicus. So, you will need to get an ultrasonogram of the abdomen done and consult an infectious disease specialist for the helminthic infestation because it does not seem normal.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you so much for your assistance. Where or who do I go to for the ultrasonogram?

#

• A radiologist will do your ultrasonogram. However, first consult an infectious disease specialist. If it is just a local problem, he will be able to address it without an ultrasonogram. I believe it should be a local problem restricted to your belly button because it is highly unlikely that the belly button can have gut communication.
  • Meanwhile, clean your belly button with spirit-soaked cotton. That much you can do at home.

| 

I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I had fever two days ago. Then one day ago started frequent urination and I could not hold it every time it happened. And there was pain during urination. Then started pain in the stomach. Today the urination is not that much but I have severe pain in both sides of my abdomen. I am no...  Read Full »

I feel like an insect is moving on my skin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Other than a psychiatric condition such as delusional parasitosis, are there any known real pathogens that can produce the sensation of loads of tiny insects residing and moving upon the skin that can spread or move throughout the body and causing intense itch? If so please provide n...  Read Full »

Can I give two doses of Albendazole to my 1.5-month-old baby in a short interval?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year 5 month old now. He was treated with Albid suspension for worm before two months. Again he has same symptoms of worm infection now. What can I do? Is it safe to give him Albid or other medicine for worm within short interval of two months? Please suggest.  Read Full »