Q. A small white worm came out of my belly button. What specialist should I go to?

Answered by Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Worm Infection or Parasitic Infection? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: A small white worm came out of my belly button.  What specialist should I go to?

My abdomen has been swelling for months and is quite distended. Something felt like it was moving around in my stomach about eight months ago but I did not pay much attention to it. When I awoke yesterday, my rectum was itching and my belly button felt as if it had been cut. It felt worse after work. So, I faced the mirror and pulled the skin open around my belly button and a small white worm came out. I took pictures of it and have it in a baggie and I contacted my doctor's service but have gotten no response. I have no medical insurance. So, I need to cut to the chase and find out who I need to go to for a diagnosis of the type of parasite and treatment.