Q. My sister's infected wounds are releasing green liquid and blood. Please help.

Dr. Aleph
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

My sister has this wound infection on both her feet. It started as boils but it became bigger and became something like a wound. It is constantly releasing green liquid and sometimes even has blood in it. It was forming scabs a few days ago but then, it started releasing green liquids again and it's the infection spread already. She's a female, she was taking Cloxacillin for a few days but we ran out of Cloxacillin and the pharmacy won't let us buy again. She is 15 years old, about 5 foot 4 and is around 42 kg.

# It's a recurrent infection... Could be multifactorial, poor hygiene, poor immune response, environmental problem, etc.

How long did she take Cloxacillin and at what dose? Is the area itchy and perhaps she keeps on scratching it hence the resulting boil and wound?

Any other illnesses such as diabetes, tuberculosis, allergies to food or medications?

Any other person who has the same symptoms?

Are the boils/wound only situated on her feet? How about arms, legs, armpits, buttocks, scalp?

Cloxacillin is one of the first appropriate drugs to be taken but it should be at the right dose and timing. We need to add Clindamycin 300mg/cap, 1 cap every 6 hours for 10 days. She needs to complete cloxacillin 500mg/cap, 1 cap every 6 hours to complete 7 days

Daily wound care with soap and water, keep the affected dry all the time and avoid getting wet. If still with discharge but minimal amount no need for dressing otherwise you may apply gauze and change as needed.

Clindamycin 300mg/cap, 1 cap every 6 hours for 10 days
cloxacillin 500mg/cap, 1 cap every 6 hours to complete 7 days

Daily wound care

| 

My cut wound looks the same even after a month. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 years old female. I cut myself when I recently shaved around my anus and buttocks. A few days later, it was pink or red before a scab comes. Now, even a month later, it still looks the same. It does not itch, but bothering me. What should I do?  Read Full »

Having a wound on my scrotum. Is that herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an open wound or ulcer on my scrotum. I afraid that this might be herpes. However, the day before this wound I played football for 2 hours. I took a shower, but put on the same underwear and sprayed body spray on my boxers entirely before putting them on. I wore those boxers for...  Read Full »

Is it possible for a fungal infection to cause low-grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now