Q. Please explain the treatment based on my MRI report.

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

My MRI report is as follows. Diffuse marrow edema involving scaphoid bone with a thin layer of fluid within adjacent dorsal intercarpal joint space. No obvious cortical break seen at present. Articular surfaces around wrist shows intact cortices with normal marrow intensity. Please explain the treatment for this.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• I suppose that this marrow edema is due to an injury. Since there is no fracture, there is nothing to worry about.
  • All you need to do is to wear a wrist brace along with a thumb spica for support for six weeks. You need to wear the wrist brace all day and night and can be removed only while taking bath.
  • I also suggest the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg once in the morning and in the evening for 10 days after food.
  2. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg, twice daily for 10 days before food.
  3. Tablet Shelcal (calcium supplement) 500 mg once in the morning and in the evening before food for a month.
  4. Tablet Vitamin D 60 K units once daily for 10 days and once a month for 11 months.
  • Make sure that you are not allergic to the above tablets and also please avoid the above if you have bronchial asthma.
  • It will be very helpful if you can send me the picture of the MRI report, so that I can read the entire report and suggest accurately. Also, send me a detailed history of how it started and the duration of symptoms.

Scaphoid marrow edema.

Revert back with MRI report and detailed history to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|