Q. My wrist is swollen and getting worse. Is it broken?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My wrist has been hurting a lot for the past week, despite me never sustaining an injury. I went to A and E where one doctor said it was broken but when I went to fracture clinic the next day other doctor said it was fine and sent me home. It is only getting worse and even more swollen. Do you think it is broken?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

You have mentioned pain around your wrist region for a week without any history of injury to the affected area. Anyways the pictures which you have sent me to show that there is a bit of swelling around the wrist region, but x-rays are required, and clinical images alone are not sufficient. The only thing which I was going across is that you have sustained three or four fractures in the past six years which if there is no significant history of trauma in previous episodes, needs further evaluation, but if there was a history of significant injury then its fine.

As for the present condition, I would like to state that in patients with healthy bone metabolism and no underlying pathology, there should not be any fracture without a history of any significant trauma at your age. So, I would advise you for,

1. Crepe bandage for compression, if you can use a wrist brace for two to three weeks, it is even better.

2. Gentle anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, etc., can be used for pain relief on SOS basis.

3. Ice packs should be used three to four times in a day, 10 to 15 minutes every time to keep swelling and pain to bare minimum.

We can again review after seven days on how are you feeling, but in the event swelling or pain increases, it is advisable to meet up with an orthopedic surgeon and get your x-rays and other investigations done. Do not hesitate to get back to me should you need any further information.

Wrist Injury

X Ray Wrist - AP and Lateral views

As advised

Follow up after 7 days/SOS

Can ulnar nerve relocation surgery be the reason for my wrist pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing pain in my left wrist for a month now. I had x-rays and a CT scan showing normal, but the pain continues. A few years back, I had ulnar nerve relocation surgery from a fall on ice in the same arm. Could the nerve be the reason I am having this wrist issue?  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned pain in your wrist region for a month now. Also, you have mentioned previous ulnar nerve transposition surgery. Since your pain is localized to your wrist region, it seems unlikely that your ulnar nerve is involved because neuropathic pain is usua...  Read Full

I feel dizzy and nauseous after taking two Ibuprofen tablets. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 18 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs and 5.4 feet tall. I take birth control pills every night, along with two 500 mcg Biotin and two 500 mg cranberry pills. Tonight, I had a headache, so I accidentally took two 800 mg Ibuprofen tablets without thinking about it. I feel extremel...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You do not need to worry about any of these symptoms. Let me explain. Biotin and Cranberry are health supplements, they do not affect the body adversely. Birth control pills, regularize the hormonal status in the body. So, they have no effect too. But f...  Read Full

Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Very much impressed by your query. Yes as you said, fever is an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection. Most of the time Paracetamol is not needed if body temperature is not crossing >102 degree F. But any temperature >102 degree...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now