Q. My wrist is swollen and getting worse. Is it broken?

Answered by
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

Hello doctor,

My wrist has been hurting a lot for the past week, despite me never sustaining an injury. I went to A and E where one doctor said it was broken but when I went to fracture clinic the next day other doctor said it was fine and sent me home. It is only getting worse and even more swollen. Do you think it is broken?



Welcome to

You have mentioned pain around your wrist region for a week without any history of injury to the affected area. Anyways the pictures which you have sent me to show that there is a bit of swelling around the wrist region, but x-rays are required, and clinical images alone are not sufficient. The only thing which I was going across is that you have sustained three or four fractures in the past six years which if there is no significant history of trauma in previous episodes, needs further evaluation, but if there was a history of significant injury then its fine.

As for the present condition, I would like to state that in patients with healthy bone metabolism and no underlying pathology, there should not be any fracture without a history of any significant trauma at your age. So, I would advise you for,

1. Crepe bandage for compression, if you can use a wrist brace for two to three weeks, it is even better.

2. Gentle anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, etc., can be used for pain relief on SOS basis.

3. Ice packs should be used three to four times in a day, 10 to 15 minutes every time to keep swelling and pain to bare minimum.

We can again review after seven days on how are you feeling, but in the event swelling or pain increases, it is advisable to meet up with an orthopedic surgeon and get your x-rays and other investigations done. Do not hesitate to get back to me should you need any further information.

The Probable causes:

Wrist Injury

Investigations to be done:

X Ray Wrist - AP and Lateral views

Treatment plan:

As advised

Regarding follow up:

Follow up after 7 days/SOS

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

.. is a strong painkiller, it should not often be taken, as it has many side effects like gastritis, liver and kidney damage. But in initial days of pain following rib fracture, pain is actually very severe. I suggest you try doing the following: ...   Read full

Do I have intermittent feet and wrist pain due to nerve disorder or high uric acid?

Hi doctor, I have pain in my feet and wrist sometimes, and I take painkillers ... Today again, I had a pain on my feet, and I am sending the location of ...   Read full

Can I take Paracetamol tablets for my severe tooth pain?

.. are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be g...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.