Q. After diabetes, I get recurrent vaginal yeast infection with itching in groin area. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Mishra Keeranmayee Mihirkumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2022

Hi doctor,

I am 38 years old. I am diabetic for the past three years and sugars are not always in control. I am taking medicine Euclide 80 mg and Galvus met 50/500 and Novomix 30 injection 10 units (injection only for few days). My issue is, post diabetes I am experiencing severe recurring yeast infection in vagina and itching in groin area and near anal area. Due to scratch the area has become sensitive and scars and cuts are there. There is burning sensation when the area comes in contact with water. I have tried all Clotrimazole creams (Dres V, Surfaz B, Candid, etc.), but no relief. Itching is severe at night and very uncomfortable. Please help which medicine or cream to apply to stop this infection everytime. I am unsure if that is eczema. Are there any tests which show what kind of infection is that?



Welcome to

Diabetes is comorbidity that makes patients prone to fungal infections and some times there is a secondary bacterial infection too.

I advise you to follow certain steps.

1. First step, proper sugar control.

2. Anti-diabetic diet and exercise.

3. Proper genital hygiene.

4. Use of clean cotton underwear.

5. Keeping the area clean and as dry and aerated as possible.

6. No tight clothing.

7. No talcum powder application.

8. Do not use regular soap and hot water to clean genital areas.

Take Itraconazole 100 mg two times a day for two weeks, Luliconazole cream to be applied three to four times daily on area of infection after proper cleaning and drying. Combinorm wash to clean the genital area.

I hope this helps.

The Probable causes:

The probable cause is Tinea cruris.

Differential diagnosis:

Tinea cruris.

Treatment plan:

Take tablet Itraconazole 100 mg two times a day for two weeks, Luliconazole cream to be applied three to four times daily on the area of infection after proper cleaning and drying, use Combinorm wash to clean genital area.

Regarding follow up:

Please follow up after completion of the above course and sos if need be.

Thank you doctor,

Thanks for your reply. I am really concerned about the bad smell of urine and any specific foods which can help. Please suggest.



Welcome back to

I hope your symptoms have subsided. Combinorm wash will reduce the foul-smelling. Now we are exploring foods that are beneficial for your vaginal Flora. You can take cranberry juice, yogurt, sweet potatoes, garlic, soy, avocados, apples, flaxseeds, water, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and hot chilies. I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

Thanks for your reply. The itching is still there at night. Since the lockdown is there, I am not getting Combinorm wash. Can I use any alternative brand? It is still the same. There is discoloration, and it is worse there. Can I send you a picture?



Welcome back to

Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing.

1. For itching, please take a tablet Cetirizine before dinner at night for ten days.

2. Other alternatives to Combinorm wash are V wash and Saugella Attiva.

3. Have you started taking other medicines?

4. Is there any relief?

5. How is your blood sugar control?

6. Yes, please send a picture

7. Avoid itching at any cost, as it will worsen your condition.

I hope this helps. Please follow up with answers.

Thank you doctor,

I have completed the course of other medications which you provided. There is cracking and splitting of the skin. Hence there is burning when I wash the area. Itching is unbearable and unavoidable at night.



Welcome back to

Tablet Itraconazole has to be taken for two weeks along with the Luliconazole ointment. You have used it only for five to six days now. So please continue with all my previous advice. But let me be very clear, if your diabetic control is not good, the infection may persist for months. So maintain proper hygiene and allow as much ventilation as possible to the area. Any rubbing or friction, or itching will increase the area of involvement.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have red wound growing on my thighs. What is it?

You can use topical Clotrimazole cream local application twice daily and take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for four weeks after consulting your GP or nearby dermatologist ...   Read full

I am having yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance. What is the cause?

Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. For about two weeks or more, I have been experiencing a mild nonspecific pain in my upper body. It is mostly at the upper back, at the center and slightly towards the right. At times, it occurs in the middle and...   Read full

I am having recurrent vaginal yeast infection.Please help.

Hello doctor, I am a 17-year-old female. I am 5 feet tall and I weigh about 98 kg. Three months ago, I had severe constipation and hemorrhoids that lasted for about a month and a half. After that incident, I decided to change my diet high on fiber ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.