Q. After diabetes, I get recurrent vaginal yeast infection with itching in groin area. Why?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2020

I am 38 years old. I am diabetic for the past three years and sugars are not always in control. I am taking medicine Euclide 80 mg and Galvus met 50/500 and Novomix 30 injection 10 units (injection only for few days). My issue is, post diabetes I am experiencing severe recurring yeast infection in vagina and itching in groin area and near anal area. Due to scratch the area has become sensitive and scars and cuts are there. There is burning sensation when the area comes in contact with water. I have tried all Clotrimazole creams (Dres V, Surfaz B, Candid, etc.), but no relief. Itching is severe at night and very uncomfortable. Please help which medicine or cream to apply to stop this infection everytime. I am unsure if that is eczema. Are there any tests which show what kind of infection is that?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Diabetes is comorbidity that makes patients prone to fungal infections and some times there is a secondary bacterial infection too.

I advise you to follow certain steps.

1. First step, proper sugar control.

2. Anti-diabetic diet and exercise.

3. Proper genital hygiene.

4. Use of clean cotton underwear.

5. Keeping the area clean and as dry and aerated as possible.

6. No tight clothing.

7. No talcum powder application.

8. Do not use regular soap and hot water to clean genital areas.

Take Itraconazole 100 mg two times a day for two weeks, Luliconazole cream to be applied three to four times daily on area of infection after proper cleaning and drying. Combinorm wash to clean the genital area.

Tinea cruris.

Tinea cruris.

Tablet Itraconazole 100 mg two times a day for two weeks, Luliconazole cream to be applied three to four times daily on the area of infection after proper cleaning and drying, Combinorm wash to clean genital area.

Please follow up after completion of the above course and sos if need be.

| 
Thanks for your reply...I'm really concerned about the bad smell of urine ..any specific foods which can help .plz suggest.

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi,Reji
Hope your symptoms have subsided.
Combinorm wash will reduce the foul smelling.

Now we're exploring foods that are beneficial for your vaginal Flora-
Cranberry juice. ...
Yogurt. ...
Sweet potatoes. ...
Garlic. ...
Soy. ...
Avocados, apples, flaxseeds, and water. ...
Almonds and pumpkin seeds. ...
Hot chilies.
Hope this helps

| 
Thnx doc...for your reply....The itching is still there but at night.. since the lock down is there I'm not getting combinorm wash..Any alternative brand. It's still the same ..there is discoloration and its worse there. Can I send u pic ?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi,Reji,
Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing.
1.For itching please take Tab Cetirizine before dinner at night for 10 days.
2.Other alternatives to Combinorm wash are V wash and Saugella Attiva.
3.Have you started the other medicines?
4.Is there any relief?
5.How is your blood sugar control?
6.Yes ,please send a pic
7.Avoid itching at any cost-it will worsen your condition
Hope this help-I am enabling a free follow up-so please follow up with answers.

| 
I hve completed the course of other medications which u provided.....there is cracking and splitting of skin hence there is burning when I wash the area....itching is unbearable and unavoidable at night...

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi,Reji
Tab Itraconazole has to be taken for two weeks along with the luliconazole ointment,you have used for only 5 to 6 days now.Please continue with all my previous advice but let me be very clear if you diabetic control is not good infection may persist for months.
Maintain proper hygeine and allow as much ventilation as possible to the area. Any rubbing or friction or itching will increase the area of involvement.

| 

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full »

What ayurvedic medicines can treat tinea cruris?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly tell me some ayurvedic drugs for tinea cruris. I had the disease last year but I am having the symptoms again. Itching has not gone completely. I have used Onabet cream. In the past, I have been on Tyza and Atarax. Please help.  Read Full »

How to tell the difference between tinea cruris and STD symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from tinea cruris, itching near scrotum, for a very long time and left untreated. Now, I am losing my hairs from the left side of the scrotal area. I went to a doctor and he gave me a cream and a medicine for 10 days. After 10 days, I got relief and also hairs are growing ...  Read Full »