Q. I am 13 days pregnant and experiencing pain in lower abdomen and thighs. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Nov 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I am a 23-year-old female. I am 13 days pregnant and currently experiencing a pain that feels like I have been exercising for a long time. The pain is in my thighs and the lower side of my abdomen. I currently take Metformin 2000 mg per day and folic acid also.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I hope you did not have any extraordinary activities to cause the pain around the thighs and lower abdomen. The pain we are to worry about is intermittent pains, that come for a few seconds, just like the pain in periods and then disappears, and come back again later. This may be associated with discharge from the vagina, with or without bleeding or spotting. If anything of this sort, do meet your doctor immediately and you may need medications to make the uterus quite.

It could also be an infection in urinary bladder with a burning sensation while urinating, increased frequency of urination, and feverish feel. This also needs a consultation with the doctor to confirm the infection and using antibiotics. Untreated urinary infections can further lead to pain in the uterus,

It could also finally be an infection around the uterus if you had intercourse recently. This also can be cleared with antibiotics. Anyway, nothing to much worry about, as you do not have any bleeding or spotting. Simple course of antibiotic, in case of any infection and hormonal support can relieve you of the pain and more important can make your baby safe. Drink a lot of water, avoid intercourse, any sort of mental, physical stress, and rest well. Kindly do not delay to visit your doctor.

| 

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full »