Q. I drank alcohol immediately after fasting. Is this why I burped brownish acid?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a 39-year-old male with acid reflux. I am taking Phentermine 37.5 mg for weight loss. On Wednesday, I ended up getting my COVID vaccine. The next day, I had a fever (took two medicine for fever that day) and returned to normal on Friday. Then yesterday (Saturday), I fasted all day and went to a friend's house and drank a few beers and started feeling a bit of nausea. I ended up getting acid reflux and burped-up foam, assuming from the beer. Then I kept burping up acid, but it was brownish looking (attaching the pictures). The last thing I had eaten was tacos before fasting. I burped up additional seven times until it finally went away. I also took some antacid and had been drinking plenty of fluids. Could drinking on an empty stomach cause gastric issues? I did not see any visible bright red blood or anything, but it looks brown. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Alcohol is the cause of gastritis, inflammation of the stomach lining. And it can cause nausea, vomiting, pain, and sometimes blood as well. Taking alcohol on an empty stomach has more of these above-mentioned symptoms than taking on a full stomach or fed stomach.

I have seen the picture you uploaded (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This does not seem blood. Although looking only at the color could not rule out that it is not blood. If you do not have any more vomitings, I suggest you keep observing and do not worry.

Alcohol is a nauseating agent as well. It also produces lots of gas in the intestine and hence can stimulate nausea and vomiting. I suggest you start taking capsule Omeprazole 40 mg once daily before the meals once or twice daily for seven days.

Continue taking a good amount of water. I hope this will help you to get better soon. Please get back if you have further doubts.

I had seven episodes yesterday, 30 minutes after I drank my beer. I never had issues before that. Additionally, I did not have episodes after those seven episodes (I took an antacid). I just was not sure if this was blood or not. Because I had an empty stomach but had eaten tacos the night before, the only thing that scared me was the color. I was scared that I had a GI bleed from it. As of today, I have had no issues. I never had any abdominal pain. I will buy the recommended medication you suggested. How long before they kick in? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Medication will improve your symptoms just after the first dose. The maximum benefit is seen after three to four doses. Let me know in a couple of days about your symptoms. Meanwhile, you can also continue taking an antacid containing the milk of magnesia or any other available antacid over the counter. I hope this was helpful.

|