Q. I took Flagyl for a bowel infection and still do not feel better. Any suggestions?

Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2022

I am a 58-year-old female. I was seen at the weekend by the emergency doctor and was diagnosed with bowel infection. I was rehydrated and given IV Paracetamol and sent home with oral antibiotics - Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily and Tavanic 500 mg twice daily. I followed a diet of fluids only for the past three days. I am worried as I really do not feel that much better, and the foul loose stools came back today. I think the fever still comes and goes (do not have a thermometer, so not 100 % sure). I am on the last day of the Tavanic 500 mg today. Do you have any suggestions, please? I take BP meds.- Metoprolol 50 mg morning, 50 mg evening, Telmisartan 80/25 one tablet in the morning, Nexium 20 to 40 mg daily (depending on how sliding hiatus hernia is playing up), and Allegron 30 to 45 mg evening (depending on how fibromyalgia is).

#

I have read through your history and would like to tell you that Flagyl (Metronidazole) and Tavanic (Levofloxacin) generally cover the bacterial and amoebic causes of dysentery. If I were your physician, I would have suggested you continue the antibiotic course for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and continue taking the medicines with their consent.

Also, I would have included a probiotic. For example, a Sporolac sachet to be dissolved in water and taken twice daily along with the antibiotics. It helps to restore the normal flora of the stomach, which gets disturbed due to the antibiotics. It will definitely help in recovering faster. Also, it is advisable to continue taking oral rehydration therapy.

I hope I was able to help you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to message me.

|