Q. I took Flagyl for a bowel infection and still do not feel better. Any suggestions?

Answered by Dr. Nazma Parveen and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Acute Dysentery or Probiotics? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 58 year old female. I was seen at the weekend by the emergency doctor and was diagnosed with a bowel infection. I was rehydrated and given IV Paracetamol and sent home with oral antibiotics - Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily and Tavanic 500 mg twice daily. I followed a diet of fluids-only for the past three days. I am worried as I really do not feel that much better and the foul loose stools came back today. I think fever still comes and goes (do not have a thermometer, so not 100 % sure). I am on the last day of the Tavanic 500 mg today. Do you have any suggestions please? I take BP meds.- Metropolol 50 mg morning 50 mg evening, Telmisartan 80/25 one tablet in the morning, Nexium 20 to 40 mg daily (depending on how sliding hiatus hernia is playing up) and Allegron 30 to 45 mg evening (depending on how fibromyalgia is).