Q. I took Flagyl for a bowel infection and still do not feel better. Any suggestions?

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Published on May 16, 2018

I am a 58 year old female. I was seen at the weekend by the emergency doctor and was diagnosed with a bowel infection. I was rehydrated and given IV Paracetamol and sent home with oral antibiotics - Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily and Tavanic 500 mg twice daily. I followed a diet of fluids-only for the past three days. I am worried as I really do not feel that much better and the foul loose stools came back today. I think fever still comes and goes (do not have a thermometer, so not 100 % sure). I am on the last day of the Tavanic 500 mg today. Do you have any suggestions please? I take BP meds.- Metropolol 50 mg morning 50 mg evening, Telmisartan 80/25 one tablet in the morning, Nexium 20 to 40 mg daily (depending on how sliding hiatus hernia is playing up) and Allegron 30 to 45 mg evening (depending on how fibromyalgia is).

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• I have read through your history and would like to tell you that Flagyl (Metronidazole) and Tavanic (Levofloxacin) generally cover bacterial and amoebic causes of dysentery.
  • If I were your physician, I would have suggested you continue the antibiotic course for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and continue taking the medicines with their consent.
  • Also, I would have included a probiotic. For example, Sporolac sachet to be dissolved in water and taken twice daily along with the antibiotics. It helps to restore the normal flora of the stomach which gets disturbed due to the antibiotics. It will definitely help in recovering faster.
  • Also, it is advisable to continue taking the oral rehydration therapy.

I hope I was able to help you. If you have any further questions please feel free to message.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are medications those can be advised in pregnancy as, during the antenatal period, many symptoms could occur that need to be treated. Metronidazole can be advised in pregnancy. So, do not worry and Tergynan is also antifungal antibiotic and it was advised locally,...  Read Full

My girlfriend gets blood in stool. How to get it cured?

Query: Hi doctor,My girlfriend has piles. She gets blood along with stool. She is 22 years old. How to get it cured? How to get some relief from this? Is piles operation a complicated one? How many days should she need to take rest after this operation? Is there any restriction in food?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Blood in stools can be from upper gastrointestinal (UGI) or from lower gastrointestinal (LGI). The dark altered blood is from upper GI bleed and fresh blood is mostly from the lower GI tract. We need to evaluate various possibilities that can c...  Read Full

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now